1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Today's JAZZ playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by savv, Jan 28, 2006.

1. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I wouldn't lay that at Bird's feet. Yeah, I guess there were some, who erroneously thought that if they used, that would elevate their playing and they would become more like him. But I don't think we can blame the whole drug scene on Charlie Parker! Or just heroin. Of course, there were all different drugs around, and many musicians partook. I haven't read up on the experience of everyone, but it would seem that many, if not all, the people in Mal Waldron's circle, were into them, according to Waldron.

KrisM, Kingpin5, wharf rat and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

I really treasure many of CJRT's programs. "Big Band with Glen Woodcock", "Dinner Jazz", and for sure "My Kind of Jazz with Jeff Healey".
    I would love a podcast of them. CJRT has the archives, but they don't share them anywhere on social media. No Youtube, no Mixcloud, nothing.

KrisM, Kingpin5, E.Auer and 1 other person like this.
  3. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Pompous Blowhard Know-It-All Video-Posting Bore Subscriber

I think lots of folks wanted to emulate Bird, but they didn't realize his genius wasn't manufactured in a lab, and it was all of that practicing he had done that created amazing facility, not wishes. He would have been _better_ straight, which is something to think about!

Pops (Armstrong) was a pothead, he loved what he called "muggles." So I guess if we were looking to lay blame...

GJ

KrisM, tomcatmixd, Kingpin5 and 2 others like this.
  4. RhythmGJ

Now Playing: Pharaoh Sanders, "Deaf-Dumb-Blind"

image.jpg

GJ

5. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Analogue Productions SACD

KrisM, jnicholson14, Kingpin5 and 5 others like this.
  6. dmax99

dmax99 Lookin' For Live

Bill Evans - Quintessence....

KrisM, jnicholson14, Kingpin5 and 6 others like this.

7. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The way ahead for FM broadcast radio may be cloudy. They may be holding on to thier aces, ones they have left.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    KrisM, Kingpin5, RhythmGJ and 2 others like this.
  8. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, I agree with you 100% on Bird. He was a virtuoso. His beautiful soul of course was a part of what he did, but he wouldn't have been able to play the way he did if he hadn't practiced and studied. Going a little off topic but somewhat pertinent, I get irked when someone attributes the great playing of a great musician only to talent. Sure, the talent is there, but you have to develop it.

I didn't know Pops called pot, "muggles"! I remember him referring to it as "gage"...

KrisM, Kingpin5, RhythmGJ and 2 others like this.
  9. dmax99

dmax99 Lookin' For Live

Tommy Flanagan/Kenny Burrell - Beyond The Bluebird....

RhythmGJ, Kingpin5, E.Auer and 2 others like this.
  10. vinowino

vinowino Super Member

Duke Ellington. New Orleans Suite.
    upload_2018-10-12_13-26-2.png

KrisM, BillyBatts, Asimov and 4 others like this.
  11. wharf rat

wharf rat Active Member

I'm a box set junkie, especially if done right with quality pressings, booklet and packaging. Mosaic has it down. One of my favorites.

[​IMG]

KrisM, BillyBatts, tomcatmixd and 7 others like this.

12. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

[​IMG]

Eric's tapping fingers...

wharf rat, KrisM, BillyBatts and 8 others like this.
  13. RhythmGJ

My understanding is that Bird was like Trane; almost never took the horn out of his mouth. I know Trane was constantly practicing.

GJ

jgannon, KrisM, E.Auer and 2 others like this.
  14. RhythmGJ

Earlier:

image.jpg

image.jpg

GJ

jgannon, wharf rat, KrisM and 5 others like this.
  15. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Count Basie - April in Paris

174F4959-298C-4D65-A1F9-733141D7D5A2.jpeg

jgannon, dmax99, KrisM and 7 others like this.
  16. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Active Member

I’ve been thinking about the whole drugs and jazz thing a lot lately as I read the Getz bio, A Life in Jazz. Many of my faves, Evans, Parker, Getz, even Coltrane and Davis for awhile, had heroin addictions. Can we assume that on many recordings, particularly early on, these guys were high? Parker and Getz often had a a lot of alcohol on board as well. How can you play like that? Like GJ I wonder too if their playing would have been better if they were straight. Don’t see how some of these masterpieces could have been better, but still I wonder. And they all seemed to have so many enablers around them, some of whom certainly didn’t want to upset their moneymakers. Deep and confusing topic.

Actually, considering how many shows Parker missed or just couldn’t make it through, proves that he very often found the threshold.

KrisM, E.Auer, BillyBatts and 2 others like this.

17. Kingpin5

Kingpin5 Super Member

18. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Sean Dobbins and The Modern Jazz Messengers - Blue Horizons

2BBB81F8-1305-4AE9-BDB2-D847BC63AEAE.jpeg

E.Auer, BillyBatts, Asimov and 3 others like this.
  19. Kingpin5

Kingpin5 Super Member

Paul Gonsalves was in that crowd, too. He played like a madman, many a show did he miss. Killed him at the same time as Duke, he was in his mid-50s(?). Read a story about him and Bird and a third person making in boats in Central Park, so if anyone came looking they could drop the goods into the water.

KrisM, E.Auer, BillyBatts and 2 others like this.
  20. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

There's an interview in which Parker said that there was a three year period where he practiced 11 to 14 hours a day; that's somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 or more hours in just those three years. He practiced an incredible amount. For players who are spectacularly good, natural ability seems to be a minor factor compared to the capacity for relentless practice! I read a quote by Elvin Jones where he said when he started out he would practice 4-5 hours a day, and he thought he was hot shit at the time, but then he got really serious, and he would practice 8-10 hours a day or more. That's got to be a thoroughly exhausting endurance contest, doing that day in and day out. Kind of mind boggling, really.

KrisM, E.Auer, BillyBatts and 3 others like this.