1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Today's JAZZ playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by savv, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Kingpin5

Kingpin5 Super Member

When my son is not gigging, he considers 8 hrs on the bass practicing to be, " just getting started ".

jgannon, Beau Geste, KrisM and 5 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

When I was an undergrad, I was doing good if I was getting 4+ hours a day. Some of my peers (those who still play regularly) lived in the practice rooms.

Beau Geste, KrisM, E.Auer and 3 others like this.
  3. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Always fun:

02E4FCE5-F097-4298-8A0D-6ED0F42A4954.jpeg

4. Asimov

Asimov Addicted Member

5. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

I ordered that Getz book and it's finally on the way from the seller (used - like new condition). I should have it by today or tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it.

Beau Geste, savv, KrisM and 4 others like this.
  6. BillyBatts

Up well before the Roosters today, gents. Early start, but I'm done at 1 PM.

Just some streaming;

Apple Music at an early breakfast.

STAN GETZ - NEXT STEPS

[​IMG]
    15 Songs

EDITORS’ NOTES
    Fluid saxophonist Stan Getz also made bold moves as a bandleader. On "Night Rider," he sounds urgently inspired playing over ominous strings. After striking sales gold, he pushed bossa nova further with a big-band album containing the buoyant "Manha de Carnival." And he reinvented himself alongside Chick Corea's electric band on the Latin-saturated "Captain Marvel."

Beau Geste, KrisM, E.Auer and 4 others like this.

7. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Pompous Blowhard Know-It-All Video-Posting Bore Subscriber

You guys have roosters? I thought it was lizards and sea turtles?

;)

GJ

Beau Geste, E.Auer, Kingpin5 and 2 others like this.
  8. BillyBatts

There are NO snakes in Hawaii. So birds nest on the ground. There are thousands of wild chickens running around because they have no natural enemies other than your errant feral cat. They are all probably descendants of chickens that were introduced in Hawaii by Captain Cook, and have flourished in the luxury of perfect weather, plenty of natural food, and no predators. When a Snake is discovered in Hawaii (because some crazy person smuggles one in or one gets through snake patrol at the Port of Honolulu), it's a 4 alarm emergency. It makes the 6 PM news as the LEAD story. "SNAKE SIGHTING IN OAHU!". Then they show 20 men in uniform searching for the snake to DEPORT it back to wherever it came from, as long as it is OFF-ISLAND. Seriously, it's a VERY big deal. If snakes took a foothold, the local bird population would be decimated.

My ONLY complaint about the peacefulness at my condo is the wake-up calls by the Roosters at the CRACK of dawn. Actually about 45 minutes before. Hawaiian Roosters like to get a jump-start on things. :) No AC in the condo, so you sleep with the windows open. And every morning about 45 minutes before sun-up.... "COCK--A-DOODLE-DOO!" I'm up about 5 stories from the back parking lot, and about 15 stories from the ocean-view side. I can't imaging how loud the roosters must be for locals that live ground level.

jgannon, Beau Geste, KrisM and 5 others like this.
  9. RhythmGJ

Oh, man, I'm hip. My grandmother used to keep chickens... I was way out in the country in Ghana a few years ago when I almost killed someone's rooster! This thing didn't crow at 6:00 am, or even 5:00 or 4:00. It clucked and crowed ALL NIGHT LONG, and in my deprivation I thought about throttling it. Not wanting to cause an international incident, however, I acquiesced.

Finished:

image.jpg

GJ

duncan, jgannon, Beau Geste and 6 others like this.
  10. Kingpin5

Kingpin5 Super Member

It's NOT just Gonsalves' solo, the Festival Suite is quite good, too. And then, Hodges had to show off. Far more than Diminuendo.

DC, Beau Geste, KrisM and 3 others like this.
  11. Kingpin5

Kingpin5 Super Member

You showed restraint worthy of a diplomat. Ambassador GJ?

Beau Geste, KrisM, BillyBatts and 2 others like this.

12. Asimov

Asimov Addicted Member

13. RhythmGJ

Not me!

But that might be my son someday... :D

GJ

Kingpin5, Beau Geste, KrisM and 2 others like this.
  14. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

WRTI via TuneIn

[​IMG]

Tuned In Eric

15. BillyBatts

I hear that... literally. Some mornings (probably the mornings I'm a light sleeper), I hear them crowing around 3 AM. I mean, COME ON MAN! Give me a break. 3 am? It must be the lights from the condo complex, or the lights from the Air Force Base lighting up the sky that confuses them. Or maybe they just crow all night long and I don't notice it except on mornings where I'm awake at 3 AM. However, I know they don't crow in the evening. It's very peaceful through at least midnight when I fall asleep.

There would probably be thousands more, but my guess is that some locals hunt them and cook them up. And the Feral cats probably kill some just for sport. Although a wild bird is not going to taste anything like your Safeway variety domestic chicken, eh?

16. BillyBatts

HA! I've listened to Pub Jazz as it's syndicated, and a few stations nationally carry it. Funny but I never saw a pic of Chuck Leavens, and that is EXACTLY what I pictured him to look like! A slightly leaner Santa Clause with a closely shaved beard for his time off. :)

17. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

Mornin’ guys,
    Starting my day with Ella
    A4BEF585-51AA-475A-95E9-214C2B79F20B.jpeg
    4 sides of dead quiet Japanese vinyl.

duncan, Kingpin5, jgannon and 5 others like this.
  18. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

All those music contest shows irk my wife because of this type of thing.
    Not that there aren't people with talent on there that got good because of a lot of practice. Just the general vibe that it's all easy, you just have to get up there and do your thing because of natural talent.

It reminds me of a boss I had. About ten years ago we got to talking hockey, and he asked if I could give his kid some tips on shooting. He never played, but noticed his kid's shot was a bit of a muffin. When I asked him how much time he spent on his own shooting the answer I got was, "He doesn't".
    Well how the hell are you going to get good at it if you don't do it! When I was his age(10) I shoveled my back yard and made my own rink. In the months that I couldn't have a rink I was shooting in my basement. Non stop. Busted water pipes, busted windows, a million puck marks on the wall.
    There is video footage of Sidney Crosby's basement with broken stuff everywhere. Meh. That was my basement before he was even born.
    Somehow he did a little better at it then I did, though. :rflmao:

Kingpin5, jgannon, BillyBatts and 5 others like this.
  19. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

That Duke book I read over the holidays last year had a bit about him. He and Nance led a group of junkies that were called the Air Force.
    There's a really crude quote by Ellington about what he thought of those guys doing heroin.

20. Jay Kay

Jay Kay Active Member

I’m really enjoying it. Fascinating about the music, horribly depressing about his private life, at least so far.

BillyBatts, RhythmGJ and E.Auer like this.