Today's JAZZ playlist

Come Fall, the lava lamps are on!

(Wife and I disagree on little, both of us are live and let live types)

Eric

I have a lava lamp in my bedroom in Florida. Love it. Nice Red Glow. Cool months only. Don't want it competing with Air Conditioning. In Hawaii, it's SWMBO's dwelling more than mine, simply because she's there permanently except for her travel. No Lava Lamps in the bedroom. She's a very demanding person when it comes to sleep. No lights, no music (especially Jazz) and no TV. EXCEPT for her Fire Tablet. She plays Solitaire until Midnight. I tell her that the blue light is bad hygiene for sleeping, but it falls on deaf ears. I own a pair of blue blocker reading glasses for the Chromebook in bed. Makes a big difference.

24/192 ALAC -
LZmTxLH.jpg

Seems to me that today modern rock music, less heavy metal is under the Country banner. Much larger umbrella than when we were young. Used to be country music I grew up with was about drinkin, prison, cheatin, devorce, trains and cowboy hats. A gross generalization, that i hope doesn't offend. It has branched out. Where's the steel guitar, anymore? Of course there different regional versions like Texas Swing. Way off topic.
That’s okay, I actually like classic country/old time/bluegrass/Americana and I adore pedal steel guitar. Check out Buddy Emmons, a well reguarded session player who did a pedal steel jazz album.

All those music contest shows irk my wife because of this type of thing.
Not that there aren't people with talent on there that got good because of a lot of practice. Just the general vibe that it's all easy, you just have to get up there and do your thing because of natural talent.

It reminds me of a boss I had. About ten years ago we got to talking hockey, and he asked if I could give his kid some tips on shooting. He never played, but noticed his kid's shot was a bit of a muffin. When I asked him how much time he spent on his own shooting the answer I got was, "He doesn't".
Well how the hell are you going to get good at it if you don't do it! When I was his age(10) I shoveled my back yard and made my own rink. In the months that I couldn't have a rink I was shooting in my basement. Non stop. Busted water pipes, busted windows, a million puck marks on the wall.
There is video footage of Sidney Crosby's basement with broken stuff everywhere. Meh. That was my basement before he was even born.
Somehow he did a little better at it then I did, though. :rflmao:

Yeah, when it comes to this kind of thing, really, YOU gotta be the one that wants it. What you did as a kid, is what it's all about.

Just a couple more thoughts on the whole playing straight or high thing. Everyone was different on that, of course. Having a drink or a toke or something isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can loosen you up, sometimes. But I think we can all agree that doing anything to excess isn't exactly going to help you. Whether it's one particular time, or especially on a regular basis. Interestingly, I remember reading Art Blakey talking about Bird's habit, and he said, it wasn't the heroin that killed him, but the drinking. He said that the heroin preserved him, and in trying to get off it, he turned to drinking, which he said, was what led to his demise.

Back
Top Bottom