Today's JAZZ playlist

A Geller I am not sure I know of. At this point in my Jazz-Journey, I can't be certain of knowing / not-knowing an album. It's possible I have listened to this one, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't think so. Regardless....It's now on the list.
Probably Geller's best album. Featuring Harold Land and Kenny Dorham,with Lou Levy,Ray Brown,and Lawrence Marable.

That doc reinforces that my record collection is like Swiss cheese. I don't have the Mingus Ah Um and Shape of Jazz to Come. Mingus will get ,but Shape is out there for me. Thanks for posting.

KSDS, Cool Strutin show
"The Shape of Jazz to Come" really isn't that far out there as some of Ornette's later,"Free-er" recordings. The plastic Grafton Sax has it's own kind of tone that's well suited to the compositions,IMO. I had always been led to believe that Sun Ra was all sorts of weirdness until I took a shot on "Jazz in Silhouette",and now I really dig that album-just saying....

24/192 ALAC -
eJSSWrz.jpg

It's a killer group. Sort of a super group if you will.

Harmonically and line-wise, this type of music pioneered by Coltrane extended the jazz language. The guys here are all great musicians, but for me, wow, what they do just gets tiring. I know that many musicians and listeners though, are drawn to this type of sound. I can listen to it for a little while. But for me, the droning of the piano as Cables often plays the dominant in the bass under those chords, punctuated by cymbal crashes preceded by the crescendos of single strokes on the snare drum becomes a gauntlet though which to pass if I continue listening. The instrumentalists again, are all great players, and they do have some great ideas. The ensemble plays some great harmonies. But overall, the recording stays in the same realm. And frankly, do they ever really cook? Do they really get a good groove going anywhere, and somebody is, well...cooking? Certainly, the guys can blow. All strong players.

Back
Top Bottom