Today's JAZZ playlist

One more this morning before I head to town for a few hours;

Coltrane and Hartman

414gNidOy6L._SS500.jpg

Selections #19 and 20 from the auction box. Listening to these back to back is like the epitome of Nothing Better to Do.

ak181116.jpg

Kenny G: Silhouette. (Arista ARCD-8457, 1988)
Kenny G: The Moment. (Arista 0788 18935 2, 1996)

Mini review: it's Kenny G, so you already know. Silhouette is from the pop hit machine years that made him a squillionaire, and who I am to fault him for that? Anybody who doesn't appreciate the music is probably suffering from an estrogen deficiency. The surprise is that The Moment, from a few years later, is better. Where Silhouette is repetitive and vaguely annoying (at least to someone who had to live through the 80s in the first place), The Moment is listenable and even at times interesting. And who won't admit that Kenny G has amazing command of his instrument? Or that he's just awesome at everything he does?

Selections #19 and 20 from the auction box. Listening to these back to back is like the epitome of Nothing Better to Do.

ak181116.jpg

Kenny G: Silhouette. (Arista ARCD-8457, 1988)
Kenny G: The Moment. (Arista 0788 18935 2, 1996)

Mini review: it's Kenny G, so you already know. Silhouette is from the pop hit machine years that made him a squillionaire, and who I am to fault him for that? Anybody who doesn't appreciate the music is probably suffering from an estrogen deficiency. The surprise is that The Moment, from a few years later, is better. Where Silhouette is repetitive and vaguely annoying (at least to someone who had to live through the 80s in the first place), The Moment is listenable and even at times interesting. And who won't admit that Kenny G has amazing command of his instrument? Or that he's just awesome at everything he does?
I have those CD's and even keep them on my drive for wifey. I paid my dues back in the day when I took her to a New Year Eve's show with Kenny G and Michael Bolton at the Universal Amp. Schlock-O-Rama.

Chris Potter -- Unspoken

John Scofield, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette

View attachment 1332494

New one for me. I'll check it out this weekend. I'm really trying to listen to one new album a day as an average. Don't always hit the goal, but that's the benchmark.

Pat Metheny. Pat Metheny wouldn't. ;)

http://spitballarmy.com/?p=269

But I'll give the guy this: he's got a sense of humor and can laugh at himself . . .

I never saw this. Funny.

Back
Top Bottom