Today's JAZZ playlist

Just for poops and giggles, here is what TIDAL says are the "Must Listen" CLASSIC Jazz albums of all time:

IN ORDER;

Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy and Dial Master Takes
Miles Davis - The Complete Birth of the Cool
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Charles Mingus - Ah Um
Count Basie - The Complete Deca Recordings
Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin (The Centennial Edition)
Bennie Goodman - Live at Carnegie Hall
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Nina Simone - The Amazing Nina Simone
Louis Armstrong - The Best of the Hot 5 and Hot 7 Recordings
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (RVG Edition)

---------------------

Most of us would alter this list. I know I would. The missing Burbeck "Take 5" sticks out like a sore thumb, as do others that I think are missing from this list - and a few I personally would not put on the list..
But Tidal is "En-Tidal-ed" to their Opinion. :)

Interesting none the less.

Some More Christmas Jazz;

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Jingle all the Way

51WOs-TTBGL._SY355_.jpg

Want a dry state for a great NY Deli? Try Hawaii. We have plenty of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Sushi and Thai restaurants. But no Delicatessens.
We do have an AMAZING NY Style Steak House in Waikiki, "Hy's Steak House". I take you in there, you'll swear you are in Manhattan. And the steaks rival Chicago. But alas, no Delis.

In Florida we have a few because of all the retired New Yorkers that shoot down I-95 to live in Florida. Some are actually pretty darn authentic.
My favorite deli (in the cornfields) now gone. Was Siegelman's in West Chicago burbs. Thier sam was called The Erving, two halves open- faced 3" high. Was it authentic? Never been to NYC.

Last edited:
Billy, That's a new on to me. Will try it.
OG

I was really impressed, OG. Of course, Jazz stations like these (Live Shows) are DJ dependent. But the one I listened to was fantastic. Make sure you don't accidentally click on "Minnesota Jazz Tracks" instead of the "Launch Live Player" app if you are using your computer because they are two different streams. I tried the "Minnesota Jazz Tracks". Meh, not quite for me. If you are using TuneIn, then no worries.

I just switched to them now. GREAT Jazz. The show, "Afternoon Cruise"

What's REALLY Amazing about this station? They archive and offer you access to most of their live Jazz shows if you missed them. Easy access right from their website www.jazz88.fm

Just click on "ON DEMAND" on their website, and you get massive lists (BY DATE) of their live Jazz shows that have been archived.
I like their shows "Sinatra and Friends", "The Bing Shift", and "Big Band Scene".

It should not surprise us that Minneapolis has a world class Jazz station. That's a GREAT city and a wonderful state. I worked extensively in Minnesota and always said that if Minneapolis were 500 miles SOUTH, I'd LIVE THERE! :D

Selections #29 and 30 from the auction box.

ak181213.jpg

Harry Connick Jr. (Columbia CK 40702, 1987)
Harry Connick Jr. Trio: Lofty's Rouch Souffle (Columbia CK 46223, 1990)

Mini review: There was a bunch of Connick music in the box, but these two discs were the most interesting because I'd only known HCJ as a singer/band-leader till now. The first disc is mostly solo piano, and the second is a piano trio with bass and drums (Benjamin Jonah Wolfe and Shannon Powell respectively). It's all good, both the standards and the original compositions. The "kid" has a shard of the soul of Monk.

I am in the mood for Ballads for some reason. Thought about Sarah Vaughan or Johnny Hartman, but hen decided to listen to a gal I have not listened to in a very long time.

Julie London - Whatever Julie Wants

51RXjPR1C%2BL._SS500.jpg

Love it love it love it! Absolutely screams of that wonderful period between the Korean & Vietnam Wars, when I wasn't alive but wish I could go back to anyway. Meanwhile here's where I am this moment--it's not so bad really:

iu

PS: Do NOT perform an image search on "First Time Ever" ...you have been warned...

I was really impressed, OG. Of course, Jazz stations like these (Live Shows) are DJ dependent. But the one I listened to was fantastic. Make sure you don't accidentally click on "Minnesota Jazz Tracks" instead of the "Launch Live Player" app if you are using your computer because they are two different streams. I tried the "Minnesota Jazz Tracks". Meh, not quite for me. If you are using TuneIn, then no worries.

I just switched to them now. GREAT Jazz. The show, "Afternoon Cruise"

What's REALLY Amazing about this station? They archive and offer you access to most of their live Jazz shows if you missed them. Easy access right from their website www.jazz88.fm

Just click on "ON DEMAND" on their website, and you get massive lists (BY DATE) of their live Jazz shows that have been archived.
I like their shows "Sinatra and Friends", "The Bing Shift", and "Big Band Scene".

It should not surprise us that Minneapolis has a world class Jazz station. That's a GREAT city and a wonderful state. I worked extensively in Minnesota and always said that if Minneapolis were 500 miles SOUTH, I'd LIVE THERE! :D
Listening now. Good so far. I should print out program schedules for my fav stations.
If they keep their Christmas song frequency in control, I'll be happy. Just jesting.

Hey guys!! Order now!!

"For almost 80 years, Carnegie Deli reigned as NYC’s King of Pastrami until closing its doors on December 30, 2016. While the original NYC location on 7th Avenue and 55th Street remains closed, the family behind this Pinnacle of Pastrami is as active as ever, still producing what many (including fans like Woody Allen) believe to be the finest pastrami and corned beef the City has to offer. The original location adjacent to Carnegie Hall first opened in 1937 and due to their delicious food and close proximity to Manhattan’s theater district, became an icon for many of the City’s most famous entertainers from Woody Allen, Henny Youngman and Jackie Mason early on to younger celebrities like Adam Sandler decades later. Known for their outrageously sized portions, Carnegie’s motto still remains “If you can finish your meal, we’ve done something wrong.”

https://www.goldbelly.com/carnegie-...bIwgWETEbr3akR1o6a2Sjs9RPGvjYeHvptqokiT3gyuKk

Good Lord that corned beef and pastrami is mouthwatering. So...what is the proper way to eat one of those sandwiches? Obviously you can't fit the pie hole over that monster. :dunno:

Love it love it love it! Absolutely screams of that wonderful period between the Korean & Vietnam Wars, when I wasn't alive but wish I could go back to anyway. Meanwhile here's where I am this moment--it's not so bad really:

iu

PS: Do NOT perform an image search on "First Time Ever" ...you have been warned...
Sorry, I screwed up this reply.
Was thinking of that time. Guys Butch wax on thier hair and gals pink cateye glasses.

Last edited:
I was so enamored with this song, at one time I wanted it played after my funeral on the way to the bar for a wake.
Good Lord that corned beef and pastrami is mouthwatering. So...what is the proper way to eat one of those sandwiches? Obviously you can't fit the pie hole over that monster. :dunno:

I always said the best way to eat a Carnegie Deli sandwich is with a stepladder!!

Man, all this Deli talk is killing me. I need a Hot Pastrami fix big time. And a huge Dill Pickle. That's the bummer of being on an Island 2,500 miles from the West Coast.

I'll have to see if Safeway has decent Pastrami. I can order it thick sliced, and then get some Jewish Rye with some high quality Vlasic Dill Pickles. Warm the Pastrami, make a little light Aus Jus and some excellent Mustard and I'll be in business. Certainly cheaper than flying to NY just for a sandwich.

My favorite deli (in the cornfields) now gone. Was Siegelman's in West Chicago burbs. Thier sam was called The Erving, two halves open- faced 3" high. Was it authentic? Never been to NYC.

I honestly think I remember Siegelman's. Very authentic IMO. Memory not withstanding. And I THINK (don't quote me) that they opened a Deli in the DOWNTOWN area about 9 or 10 years ago. That location my still be open. I love Chicago. I have to sanction a trip there this summer. I used to go in early December to Christmas shop Michigan Avenue, ice skate Millennium Park, and have a Hot Rum Toddy at the restaurant/bar there near "The Bean".

Back
Top Bottom