Today's JAZZ playlist

Speaking of Google Play Music, I have really been enjoying a GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC CHANNEL of theirs for Jazz today. They have about 15 commercial free Jazz music channels. Cozy Jazz features the more "mellow" side of Coltrane, Davis, Hawkins, and similar. Really excellent for relaxing.

Google Play Music Cozy Jazz Radio

ibKQg1vJMtZbCx-BWV2bBCichH1vCAm04BApgEyG2pgnA6W3B_GVvHHsfw=w360-c-h180-e100-rwu-v1

LINK to Google Play Cozy Jazz RADIO

Tidal Premium Offer?

I got an email from Tidal offering me a year of PREMIUM for $69. Note that for the record their PREMIUM service is excellent streaming but it is certainly NOT their HIGH REZ streaming package. Still, I was considering it. But when I tried to see about redeeming it I was directed to a page that said "YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OFFER". Odd. Then why send me the offer to begin with?

Personally, I am still with Tidal HiFi service ($19.95 a month), but am tempted to drop it every single month. I still have Google Play, Apple Music and Amazon Prime Unlimited, so I'm flush with music streaming services. That's probably why I'm not eligible. I'm a HiFi subscriber and they don't want me to downgrade to Premium service.

It's going to take something significant for me to leave Spotify. I love it and have no issues. I am not concerned with true hi rex because it's not the kind of listening I am doing anyhow. The files sound just fine for me...

It's going to take something significant for me to leave Spotify. I love it and have no issues. I am not concerned with true hi rex because it's not the kind of listening I am doing anyhow. The files sound just fine for me...

Yes, I get that, Pops. I pay 20 bucks a month for Tidal High Rez because I enjoy listening to it on my higher end systems. So I think. But when you look at the dynamics and specifications of HOW I am delivering music to my high end systems via Tidal, I'm wasting my money. Both Apple Airplay and Google Chromecast Audio (the two WiFi based streaming delivery systems I use) top out at CD Quality transfer delivery. So a stream of 256 AAC or 320 mp3 is usually more than enough to satisfy listeners via Airplay or ChromeCast Audio. Feeding a 32/192 (or higher ) High Rez source into Apple Airplay or Google Chromecast stream delivery is only going to give you 16/44 delivery. It is automatically reduced to CD standard bit rate. Not that CD quality is bad, but with Tidal, you are paying for way MORE than CD quality, so you are cheating yourself if you are streaming via Airplay or Google Chromecast Audio.

And for my mobile ops? I have the same Apt-X earbuds you have. What Spotify delivers is about the best you are going to do for those earbuds. Even with Apt-X.

If I were smart, I'd dump everything and go with Spotify FREE, but alas, I'm not that smart. I'm a sucker for commercial free streaming on TWO separate platforms (Google and Apple), so I'm stuck paying.

Oh, BTW, I'll always keep Slacker. I have their yearly radio plan of $25 for the whole year. You can't beat that.

Last edited:
View attachment 1427901

Holy Shitballs! I just read that Grappelli had a solo in the title track of WISH YOU WERE HERE. It was totally buried in the mix and so uncredited. But the 2011 remasters fixed that. Looks like I need a new copy of WYWH. And I’m just now hearing this? F*cks sakes man. :beatnik:

I absolutely did not know that, and I totally loves me some Stephane Grappelli fiddle magic. My late father in-law played the violin, something of a local prodigy actually, and I had the honor of introducing him to SG's playing (or in hindsight maybe he was too kind to say that he was already familiar with SG given my youth and unbridled enthusiasm).

I absolutely did not know that, and I totally loves me some Stephane Grappelli fiddle magic. My late father in-law played the violin, something of a local prodigy actually, and I had the honor of introducing him to SG's playing (or in hindsight maybe he was too kind to say that he was already familiar with SG given my youth and unbridled enthusiasm).
Very cool. My dad took me to see SG at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano around ‘89. So glad I got to see him play all night from 20’ away.

Neighbourhood.jpg

Continuing my current ECM run this week. I found a used promo copy a few or more years after it's year of release some time back. Immediately transfixed by it's urgent but beautifully chill heartbeat, it took some months before it fell out of constant rotation. I may have trouble putting this one away again, it's that good.

Back
Top Bottom