Today's JAZZ playlist

And THEN brag!:rflmao:

I've got too much stuff, too. I'm going to be moving some along this spring/summer.

I've got more receivers and integrateds than I need. A few that need repairs. I have a Carver that I actually have the parts for that I'll get up to snuff whether I sell it or not. And an H/K that absolutely makes my PSB Stratus Silvers sing, but it's one of the ones with the flaky mini switches. They drive me bonkers.
I'm digging the look of the Marantz in the LR setup, and like how it sounds, but there are times I could use a little more oomph.

I have to get back to finding young people that want vinyl systems and donate a few like I used to do, Kris (if you remember those days of me doing that). I'd rather donate to a needy youth than sell, but it's hard to find them any longer. The "craze" of vinyl has now warn off and iPhone X is what they want.

I do need to set up a killer system in my garage in Florida. I have a cheap Pyle (Chinese company sold on Amazon) system out there now. I need to put out one of my vintage systems and real speakers. And I need to set up a system in my basement for working out to high fidelity tunes. But then I'm done done done. The rest I need to flip. Then I can look at getting a Marantz and replacing one of my vintage systems that are actually used frequently.

I'm pretty format agnostic. I enjoy the tunes, and sound quality, no matter which way I roll.
I do dig my vinyl, though. And the tactile enjoyment thing of dropping the needle with a few of my tables can't be denied.

FLAC and FM Stereo Streaming sure make a guy lazy. They have "sort" of replaced CD play for me. I still play CD, but not like I used to before FM Streaming and on demand streaming services and FLAC playing. It's just too easy to have Apple Music call up an album rather than find the CD, and FLAC makes it too simple to just pull up the file and press play. Since I ripped my entire CD library to the cloud, that kind of started the CD decline for me. But services like Apple Music have all of my collection anyway (without having to Rip them) as does Amazon, Tidal, Google Play Music and the list goes on and on.

But yes. I do love the tactile feeling and ritual of cleaning vinyl, de-static-ing, and needle dropping on Vinyl. It makes the listening a bit "special" IMO. I'll always love vinyl.

That FM transmitter I bought is awesome. 2 watts will push the signal through my entire neighborhood. High fidelity - well, at least FM fidelity. I have it hooked up to an Amazon Echo Dot.

61Y4v6lXsXL._SL1200_.jpg

You can get these up to 25 watts, amazingly. With a 100 foot tower, that's an LP FM Broadcast station in a box. We've come a long way with this stuff. 2 watts is plenty for me.

Shazam, that pretty cool. I’d be tempted to run an “underground radio “ station. I remember from the late sixties when FM was not sophisticated and at night, alternative programming was to be found, everything from Tibetan monk chanting to electronic abstract music to Monk and beyond. Where is that stuff these days?

Gentlemen and Ladies: I found an article regarding the resurgence of vinyl and associated equipment. This is merely an excerpt, but the opening (posted here) describes me to a "t", how about you?

If your affection for sound quality has started to compete with your affection for music itself, you may have entered the early stages of audiophilia. Should the condition advance, you will likely become preoccupied with stereo equipment and, inevitably, the sound quality of the recordings you own. Often dismissed as a geeky hobby gone awry, audiophilia actually rests upon a keen phenomenological insight: that aesthetic experiences start with physical events. It follows, then, that optimizing those physical events is an attempt to optimize aesthetic experiences, which, if not entirely cool, isn’t an entirely geeky impulse either.
Guilty

Plus one on enjoying the vinyl handling ritual. The novelty of operating a CDP drawer lasted about 20 times tops. I still enjoy handling, brushing, and cuing a vinyl record .

The whole process can be a chore, a process, or a ritual. I let it fall between process and ritual on a daily level. For new and anticipated vinyl, full on ritual.

This post leads me to a question I’ve been mulling, Does everyone play their vinyl records Side 1, then Side 2? Or are there some amongst us who just plop the record on the TT and drop the needle? I cannot be the only OCD listener who HAS to listen to the record in order. Anybody?

I usually play the sides in order but veered from the normal routine last night because I specifically wanted to hear the two tracks that make up the bulk of side two on that album.

Shazam, that pretty cool. I’d be tempted to run an “underground radio “ station. I remember from the late sixties when FM was not sophisticated and at night, alternative programming was to be found, everything from Tibetan monk chanting to electronic abstract music to Monk and beyond. Where is that stuff these days?

Literally, King, you can buy a 25 watt FM Stereo Transmitter from Amazon for $250. You feed that to a vertical antenna mounted up even 20 feet, and your range will be 10 miles. FM is line of sight, so the higher the further. Most LP stations are 100 watts, but 25 watts is PLENTY.

When I was in college we dreamed about running a pirate FM station, but building a 25 watt transmitter with an FM crystal on an open frequency was beyond our resources. Now, you can get one for around 200 bills. Amazing.

I run mine at 1 watt most of the time with just a rubber ducky antenna on the back of the unit. That puts me into about 10 homes in my neighborhood. 5 watts would cover my whole neighborhood. 25 watts even with a home antenna would probably get out about 1/2 a mile or so.

I usually play the sides in order but veered from the normal routine last night because I specifically wanted to hear the two tracks that make up the bulk of side two on that album.

I am a bit OCD on this issue. I do play the complete side ONE, then side TWO entirely. I've done this since I bought my first turntable. Only on RARE occasions do I drop a needle on a specific track, or pick out a track on side 2 first.

This post leads me to a question I’ve been mulling, Does everyone play their vinyl records Side 1, then Side 2? Or are there some amongst us who just plop the record on the TT and drop the needle? I cannot be the only OCD listener who HAS to listen to the record in order. Anybody?

I play the whole album through,if I want a certain tune I'll opt for the Cd. I don't have a problem with compact discs,I have thousands of them,all sorts of genres,but I don't believe I have such a well developed ear to throw cold water on the whole medium vs.vinyl. I do like the ritual of spinning a record,especially older mono recordings....

"...This record suggests a new maturity in the camps of the jazz avant-garde, a weathered internalization of all reckless experiments which allows the artists to submit the revelations encountered out on all those limbs to clearly-defined and relatively directed musical purposes. Thus, the relatively familiar and unadventurous framework of brooding flamenco, rather than being a hackneyed musical straitjacket stifling woolly ramblers, proves a firm foundation for exalted, heartswelling statements by turns lyrical and dissonant." –Lester Bangs, Rolling Stone, 1970

Charlie Haden
Liberation Music Orchestra

Recorded (Judson Hall, New York City)
Released (Impulse! LP) 1970
Reissued (MCA/Impulse! CD) 1989

Charlie Haden (bass); Michael Mantler (trumpet); Don Cherry (cornet, flute, Indian wood & bamboo flutes); Roswell Rudd (trombone); Howard Johnson (tuba); Bob Northern (French horn, hand wood blocks, crow call, bells, military whistle); Perry Robinson (clarinet); Gato Barbieri (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Dewey Redman (alto & tenor saxophones); Carla Bley (piano, tambourine); Sam Brown (guitar, Tanganyikan guitar, thumb piano); Paul Motian, Andrew Cyrille (drums, percussion)

R-12462355-1535765957-4817.jpeg.jpg

We'll see, Glenn. Like some of you gents, I have WAY too many receivers and amps now. Last count I have 8 Receivers and 3 Amps set up already and I have a new tube amp system I'm finally setting up today now that I have the den cleaned out... FINALLY. Plus I have five Varo WiFi Speaker systems set up and a few Kloss Model 88 table radios (like Bose Wave Radios). And even a few large Bluetooth speakers mated to a few Alexa devices for poops and giggles. I need another system like I need a root canal. However... I'll give it some thought.

It may have already been sold. I know they had it a few weeks ago. It's probably gone by now.

Thanks.
I hear you Billy. I have way to many speakers I need to move on as well. I really only listen to a few pairs of them. However that Marantz would truly be worth the stretch. The 2230 and 2270 are the sweet spots of the 22 series. Some might even say two of the best receivers they made from that period.

I hear you Billy. I have way to many speakers I need to move on as well. I really only listen to a few pairs of them. However that Marantz would truly be worth the stretch. The 2230 and 2270 are the sweet spots of the 22 series. Some might even say two of the best receivers they made from that period.

I've had the 20, 30 and 40 and on balance the 40 is the one I've hung on to. The 70 has always been elusive to me because every beater Ive been offered costs to much to refurb and a ready to go clean one these days is to much as well.

Back
Top Bottom