Today's Latin Jazz & Salsa Playlist

R-2181736-1268422279.jpeg.jpg

Willie Bobo ‎– Bobo's Beat
Roulette ‎– SR52097
Birdland Series –​

Various Artists - Carnival: Spicy Flavors and Exotic Grooves Set Fire to Blue Note

20160904_174050.jpg
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

• Don't have this CD, and I didn't know that this store had its own record label at one time! But what a great place that was. Right down in the subway at 42nd St. I thought it was gone, but in the article they are sayin it is still there? I'm going to have to go and check next chance I get.

subwaysalsa.jpg
Subway Salsa: The Montuno Records Story by various (2011)

There's a lot of fun history with this one, much of it included in the liner notes. A good 40 years ago, Times Square was a very different place. There was no Disney Store or Hard Rock Cafe. Plus I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the very spot where the Marriot Marquis Hotel is on Broadway used to be an arcade called "Fascination" right next to a x-rated theater called "Kittykat". I spent a lot of time in one of them. Back then there was a record store called simply, Record Mart. It was underground, in the subway, and it became a Mecca for Latin music lovers. Deliberately catering to their customers, they began to carry everything people wanted to hear; and that meant lots of Haitian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Dominican music; as well as, of course, Nuyorican Salsa. The staff's knowledge of the music grew to legendary proportions, to the point where youngsters would hang around the store just to eavesdrop on conversations. In fact I once read a guy named DJ Bongohead state that it was like walking into an encyclopedia of Latin Music.That store had its own label, ran out of the back of the store: Montuno Records. This collection is a document of that label, and it is as diverse at it is awesome. And you'll be happy to know, the Kittykat might be gone, but Record Mart is literally STILL THERE! To learn more about Salsa in NYC, check out the new exhibition at the Museum of the City of New York, Rhythm & Power: Salsa in New York, running through November 26, 2017. PREVIEW

Here's a link. The store DID close in 1998, but it reopened again in 2007. Defnitely going to have to stop by! http://www.recordmartnyc.com/history.html

Last edited:
  • Don't have this CD, and I didn't know that this store had its own record label at one time! But what a great place that was. Right down in the subway at 42nd St. I thought it was gone, but in the article they are sayin it is still there? I'm going to have to go and check next chance I get.
subwaysalsa.jpg
Subway Salsa: The Montuno Records Story by various (2011)

There's a lot of fun history with this one, much of it included in the liner notes. A good 40 years ago, Times Square was a very different place. There was no Disney Store or Hard Rock Cafe. Plus I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the very spot where the Marriot Marquis Hotel is on Broadway used to be an arcade called "Fascination" right next to a x-rated theater called "Kittykat". I spent a lot of time in one of them. Back then there was a record store called simply, Record Mart. It was underground, in the subway, and it became a Mecca for Latin music lovers. Deliberately catering to their customers, they began to carry everything people wanted to hear; and that meant lots of Haitian, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Dominican music; as well as, of course, Nuyorican Salsa. The staff's knowledge of the music grew to legendary proportions, to the point where youngsters would hang around the store just to eavesdrop on conversations. In fact I once read a guy named DJ Bongohead state that it was like walking into an encyclopedia of Latin Music.That store had its own label, ran out of the back of the store: Montuno Records. This collection is a document of that label, and it is as diverse at it is awesome. And you'll be happy to know, the Kittykat might be gone, but Record Mart is literally STILL THERE! To learn more about Salsa in NYC, check out the new exhibition at the Museum of the City of New York, Rhythm & Power: Salsa in New York, running through November 26, 2017. PREVIEW

Here's a link. The store DID close in 1998, but it reopened again in 2007. Defnitely going to have to stop by! http://www.recordmartnyc.com/history.html

I've bought quite a few LP's There!

Back
Top Bottom