Today's Latin Jazz & Salsa Playlist

Yeah, it was always a great little place! I thought it closed down for good in the late '90's, but apparently they reopened! Have you been there recently?

Not lately, it was the early-mid 80s, I would go to Spanish Harlem to Jam and play. Learned a lot! On my way back to Jersey I would stop there, they had a great cut out section. Do they still have LPs?

Not lately, it was the early-mid 80s, I would go to Spanish Harlem to Jam and play. Learned a lot! On my way back to Jersey I would stop there, they had a great cut out section. Do they still have LPs?

That's great. I'd love to hear more about your playing. If I remember correctly, you also studied with Barry Harris, and know of course, that you play the organ.

Regarding the record store, from the link above, they say:

"Today, Record Mart carries more than just music. With the ever changing landcape in the music industry, we can not just cell CD's or LP's. Make no mistake, our identity is still that of a Latin music store. We stock over forty thousand CD's and in the last year, with the resurgence of LP's have been steadily growing our Vinyl inventory. We offer a large selection of DVD's as well. Even though streaming is on the rise, we continue to offer great deals on movies and music videos. Electronics are an integral part of the new Record Mart since reopening in 2007. We carry a very large selection of headphones from brands like Skullcandy, Beats, Grado, JBL, Monster and many more. All of whom we buy direct and are authorized dealers of."

I gotta go down there again soon!

That's great. I'd love to hear more about your playing. If I remember correctly, you also studied with Barry Harris, and know of course, that you play the organ.

Regarding the record store, from the link above, they say:

"Today, Record Mart carries more than just music. With the ever changing landcape in the music industry, we can not just cell CD's or LP's. Make no mistake, our identity is still that of a Latin music store. We stock over forty thousand CD's and in the last year, with the resurgence of LP's have been steadily growing our Vinyl inventory. We offer a large selection of DVD's as well. Even though streaming is on the rise, we continue to offer great deals on movies and music videos. Electronics are an integral part of the new Record Mart since reopening in 2007. We carry a very large selection of headphones from brands like Skullcandy, Beats, Grado, JBL, Monster and many more. All of whom we buy direct and are authorized dealers of."

I gotta go down there again soon!

Me too maybe next week

0000117175.jpg

Perez Prado - Cuban Originals

R-1203633-1229625265.jpeg.jpg

Cesaria Evora - Cabo Verde

I am not sure if her music fits in this thread. Recently acquainted with her and I am amazed!
If possible please watch these videos, hope you won't disappoint.

h2o loves latin jazz, and salsa!
I am a salsero at heart. I miss hot summer nights with the Fania All Stars. It was typical, back in the day, for the corner bodega to pump the volume up as Hector Lavoe, and Willie Colon got everyone dancing.

The store owner, customers, cops, bums, high society dames, the occasional transvestite, and middle aged pencil pushers, had no choice but to accept the music that could melt an iceberg! That's why every bodega in town served ice cold Budweiser! the music was so hot, they had to crank up the refrigerators.

Today that corner bodega, is a Yemeni run lotto stand, with dank coffee, warm beer, and somewhere behind the counter, a photo of a 12 year old boy holding an AK47 back in the old country. I digress, times sure have changed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom