Today's Latin Jazz & Salsa Playlist

h2o loves latin jazz, and salsa!
I am a salsero at heart. I miss hot summer nights with the Fania All Stars. It was typical, back in the day, for the corner bodega to pump the volume up as Hector Lavoe, and Willie Colon got everyone dancing.

The store owner, customers, cops, bums, high society dames, the occasional transvestite, and middle aged pencil pushers, had no choice but to accept the music that could melt an iceberg! That's why every bodega in town served ice cold Budweiser! the music was so hot, they had to crank up the refrigerators.

Today that corner bodega, is a Yemeni run lotto stand, with dank coffee, warm beer, and somewhere behind the counter, a photo of a 12 year old boy holding an AK47 back in the old country. I digress, times sure have changed.

Hey, welcome to the thread h20! Hector Lavoe is one of my favorite singers. Ismael Rivera, another. Such amazing voices. I missed the great heyday of salsa, but I know its music. I love that film of the great concert at Yankee Stadium. I think there was another film I saw. Oh yeah, I think it was called "Our Latin Thing" with Ray Barretto, Johnny Pacheco, etc.

One time I was down in Puerto Rico with a friend of mine. We went down there a few times together, and one time, we wandered into a hotel on the Condado, and there -playing for dancing - was Sonora Poncena! I was about three feet behind Papo Lucca checking out his piano playing.

It's a shame, because even back in the 80's, you had clubs you could go to in NYC like Club Broadway, to see guys like Andy Montanez and Eddie Palmieri. Tito Puente was around and I used to see him all the time. Salsa meets Jazz, at the Village Gate. There were a number of places out in Queens too, and I'm sure others I didn't know about. There were some really excellent NY bands, like Conjunto Classico. Now it's all pretty much gone.

Hey, welcome to the thread h20! Hector Lavoe is one of my favorite singers. Ismael Rivera, another. Such amazing voices. I missed the great heyday of salsa, but I know its music. I love that film of the great concert at Yankee Stadium. I think there was another film I saw. Oh yeah, I think it was called "Our Latin Thing" with Ray Barretto, Johnny Pacheco, etc.

One time I was down in Puerto Rico with a friend of mine. We went down there a few times together, and one time, we wandered into a hotel on the Condado, and there -playing for dancing - was Sonora Poncena! I was about three feet behind Papo Lucca checking out his piano playing.

It's a shame, because even back in the 80's, you had clubs you could go to in NYC like Club Broadway, to see guys like Andy Montanez and Eddie Palmieri. Tito Puente was around and I used to see him all the time. Salsa meets Jazz, at the Village Gate. There were a number of places out in Queens too, and I'm sure others I didn't know about. There were some really excellent NY bands, like Conjunto Classico. Now it's all pretty much gone.
Thanks JG, I appreciate the opportunity to share the music. I remember going to that record store on the duece in the subway... I had completely forgotten about it. Next week, I'm going to go look for it.

Thanks JG, I appreciate the opportunity to share the music. I remember going to that record store on the duece in the subway... I had completely forgotten about it. Next week, I'm going to go look for it.

Yeah, we've been getting some nice posts here!

And that would be great if you could check out the store. Between you and fdrennen, I hope we can get a full report!

image001.jpg

I have a copy bought at the NYPL when they were getting rid of LPs. Is yours a 10" original?

index.php

Was that the sale they had a few years ago at Lincoln Center? If so, I was at that. I picked up a lot of great classical stuff that day.

No I wish I had no this was from the donell branch ca. 1980. I was working for a PR firm that had MOMA as a client then

Back
Top Bottom