Today's Marimbas Playlist

Evelyn Glennie ~ Wind In The Bamboo Grove (Catalyst, '95)
US

DSCN5966_zps42a91d8d.jpg

I needed an idea for some late night tunes...

DSCN0499.jpg

Daniella Ganeva - Dream of the Cherry Blossoms
Calla Records CACD77002 (1995)

Evelyn Glennie ~ Wind In The Bamboo Grove (Catalyst, '95)
US

I hadn't heard of her before this post. I don't know why. My CD of Wind In The Bamboo Grove just came today and I've been listening to all of her work on MOG. Fantastic talent.

Until now, my favorite marimba player has always been Ruth Underwood, who played with Zappa for years.

p1172736.jpg

ENCHANTED DAWN
Works for Flute and Marimba
Tim Brady, Michio Miyagi, Arvo Pärt, Ravi Shankar, Makoto Shinohara, Haseo Sugiyama, Rentaro Taki
Lise Daoust: flute
Marie-Josée Simard: marimba, vibraphone

Atma Classique

I've been looking for a copy of that one for a long time.

I've come close to snagging the BASF original a couple of times, but alas...

This USA version leaves a bit to be desired in the mastering/pressing. But it's not too bad.

I've come close to snagging the BASF original a couple of times, but alas...

This USA version leaves a bit to be desired in the mastering/pressing. But it's not too bad.

If you want to look for a really hard-to-find Orff recording, try Musikalisches Hausbuch, Harmonia Mundi KHB 20374 (1973). My original got warped and it took me years to find another good copy to rip. It's on my list of 10 desert island recordings. And, yes, lots of marimba.

I hadn't heard of her before this post. I don't know why. My CD of Wind In The Bamboo Grove just came today and I've been listening to all of her work on MOG. Fantastic talent.

Until now, my favorite marimba player has always been Ruth Underwood, who played with Zappa for years.

Understood. I met Ruth Underwood briefly many years back. She was total class, completely humble. I mentioned the Dub Room Special Zappa VHS (I don't think the DVD was available yet at the time), and she was amazed that I knew of it! She asked if I was a musician and I told her I was just an amateur bassist. She said "No, no...you've just admitted to me that you're good by telling me you're an amateur." One of those rare moments that I won't forget. :)

Good price. In the years I was looking for another copy they weren't that easy to find.

Yeah, that seems to be the way it goes for me as well. OF course, the economy still mainly sucks right now, and a lot of dealers are cutting inventory pretty drastically too, just trying to stay afloat until the ground solidifies.

I look forward to hearing this one.

I have about half of the HM/BASF Musica Poetica series. I'm curious how this fits into that series.

Carl Orff ~ Musikalisches Hausbuch (BASF/Harmonia Mundi, '73)
US

8392645227_63cc5c132d_b.jpg

I thought that record looked familiar! ;) Alas, this is an old .50 library copy but it still plays fairly well.

p2072892.jpg

ORFF-SCHULWERK
Volume One / Musica Poetica
Carl Orff
Marina Koppelstetter, Mezzo-Soprano
Sabina Lehrmann, Cello
Godela Orff, Vocals
Karl Peinkofer Percussion Ensemble
Carolin Widmann, Violin
Markus Zahnhausen, Recorder

Celestial Harmonies

Back