Todays METAL playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Rush2112, Aug 5, 2007.

1. holyman772

holyman772 Well-Known Member

2. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

2003 1st press, 110 copies stupid rare and yes, insanely brutal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ihv2p, Musicfan#51 and Delmarva like this.
  3. Zoot Allures

Zoot Allures Active Member

I also recall seeing it in a mag, possibly Circus, back in the day. The mail order ad had this Slayer, Witchfinder General, Venom, Metallica, and a couple of other underground bands of the time.

Very cool!

Musicfan#51 and Delmarva like this.
  4. Northwinds

I will tell John NOB was mentioned here, good to see other fans. I have know John for about 30 years now and was asked to try out for Fates when I lived in Bristol but ended up having kids and moving back to NY. Funny that he lives here in the same town as me now about a mile or so away. It really is a small world in the music world

Musicfan#51, Delmarva and holyman772 like this.
  5. Zoot Allures

IMG_20171006_213621.jpg
    IMG_20171006_214705.jpg
    Artillery - Fear of Tomorrow
    1985 - Neat Records - NEAT 1030
    UK Pressing

ihv2p and Musicfan#51 like this.
  6. Zoot Allures

IMG_20171006_222238.jpg
    IMG_20171006_222313.jpg
    Trouble - S/T
    1990 Def American - DEF 24267
    US Pressing

Musicfan#51, Hofy and Delmarva like this.
  7. holyman772

holyman772 Well-Known Member

Wow. Awesome connection to FW Northwinds. I was lucky to stumble on this copy of NOB with the early cover. Love this recording.

Musicfan#51, Delmarva and Northwinds like this.
  8. Zoot Allures

IMG_20171006_232722.jpg
    IMG_20171006_232911.jpg
    Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
    1987 - Vertigo - VERH 48
    UK Pressing

9. Delmarva

Delmarva Addicted Member

>>massive MK1 Fates Warning fan<<
    So cool to see another copy! I've had mine since it was brand new.
    The Ray Alder led Fates Warning leaves me cold. He's a fine singer but he doesn't have the soul of John Arch.
    [​IMG]

10. Delmarva

Delmarva Addicted Member

Are you referencing John Arch? If so please tell him on my behalf that he's a God....a down to earth god but a god nonetheless.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. Delmarva

Delmarva Addicted Member

Forgot this one, the Awaken The Guardian Live 30th Anniversary album.
    [​IMG]

Northwinds, Musicfan#51 and Hofy like this.
  12. Torontoblue

Torontoblue AK Lurker

Just where the hell did this opening riff come from? I remember first hearing Cowboys......on release in 1990 and being absolutely blown away. At the time, from an old memory, there was absolutely nothing like this out there. The riff, the groove, the vocals. Absolutely started a style, IMO. 27 years on, it still sounds fresh......and relevant given the numerous clones out there. This is an ABSOLUTE classic album that all rock/metal/thrash fans should own. And this original copy pisses all over the remastered, 180 gram version I bought a few years back; it's just cleaner and more vibrant.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    ihv2p, Musicfan#51, Delmarva and 2 others like this.
  13. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

I love the title song!

Musicfan#51 likes this.
  14. Northwinds

John is down to earth and unopretentious. Did you know he works at Lego? Good to see he EP posted here also, Cheyenne is just and amazing tune

For you FW MK1 and Arch/Matheos fans, here ya go from a visit awhile back. He loved my Les Paul but only plays acoustic

[​IMG]

When he brought his new bike over to show me

[​IMG]

He is signing me Explorer before we went to the show at the Webster, Frank and Jim signed it after the show at the private party. That is his wife Jeannie who is getting licked to death by our dog Pouncy. After the show, the band went to Germany to headline the Keep It True Festival

[​IMG]

The only FW mkII that I liked was No Exit. Just for The Ivory Gate of Dreams alone is all the reason you need to buy it. John even loved the record

Did you know John was originally going to be the singer of Dream Theater but instead chose to focus on family and instead gave vocal lessons to the eventual singer. Fates Waning and Dream Theater are a tightknit family so to speak

Hofy, Musicfan#51, skraggs and 2 others like this.
  15. luke85

luke85 Active Member

16. v8peters

v8peters Addicted Member

17. Delmarva

Delmarva Addicted Member

I did know about the Dream Theater connection. I've heard the demo recording. John said that he had fallen out of vocal practice and that the whole thing was a debacle/train wreck. Had no idea that he was working for Lego or that he was living back east. Everything I'd read was that he was living in Colorado and building custom furniture...and occasionally shocking the music appreciating world with his vocal talents every decade or so.

Thanks for sharing the pics and the update on John. He's an absolute idol of mine. Has been since Night On Brocken. The boys in Fate Warning did him dirty when they tossed him out of the band. I know the story and it wasn't cool. Kudo's to John for putting his family first and running with Plan B. Looks like John's a lefty, all the more reason for me to like him. I see a copy of the Arch/Matheos cd next to the guitar.

Yeah, I've got No Exit. Rarely listen to it. I'll give a spin again someday soon.

Pouncey looks like a Pomeranian possibly. We've got a Pom as well. His name is Graham. He looks just like Dave Mustaine.
    [​IMG]

18. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

One of the best hard rock albums of all time !

19. Northwinds

Pouncy is a Papillion

John has lived here in Coventry for at least as long as I have (almost 20 years), prior he lived in East Hartford. He was building furniture at a place in Vernon (cabinet shop). He went to Lego for the much better benefits

Yeah, it was a dirty deal when John was forced out of the band, that was Jim's doing more then anything else. Jim was thinking of quitting the band for awhile as he wanted FW to go a certain direction, that direction has not gone all that great with Ray Aldur (except for No Exit IMO). I remember when John first mentioned the Arch/Matheos project to me and I wondered if Joey would be with them as that was up in the air. Thankfully, Frank and Jim live relatively close by. Frank's in Massachusetts (got married a few years ago) and Jim has always been in New Hampshire so practice was easy

I have quite a bit of FW and many autographed items as well

Want to see a rare one?

This is a special audiophile version that was pressed on 2 records instead of one and side 4 contains John's EP European release. 200 copies in orange vinyl and 500 in black vinyl.I got a couple copies of both versions from John. I have only opened one copy (black) which is autographed. Discogs shows both versions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for Dream Theater, John is a perfectionist with his voice, he is more critical of himself then any fan not to mention he did not want to travel constantly to California or relocate there. He worked very hard on his vocals and told me straight up it was not going to happen unless he had the voice control he wanted. Anyway, he accomplished what he wanted to and the Arch/Matheos lp was the result

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    holyman772 and Delmarva like this.
  20. Zoot Allures

IMG_20171008_210229.jpg
    IMG_20171008_210425.jpg
    Manowar - Hail To england
    1984 - Music For Nations - MFN 19
    UK Pressing

ihv2p, Hofy, Delmarva and 1 other person like this.