Todays METAL playlist

Gig turned out to be a 4 band affair. Did not arrive in time for the 1st band Killfate. Arrived during the 2nd band (local) Infrared... who I'd seen back in approx. '87 - '88 or so before they broke up. They seem to have regrouped a few years back and are doing shows again. They were enjoyable back in the 80's and are still very good now. Picture Metallica around the Creeping Death era and you got Infrared. 3rd band, Metalfier from NYC, and touring band with Venom inc. took a little while to get the crowd into it but finally got some folks rockin' a few tunes into their set. From what I can tell, most of their notoriety comes from doing a heavy version of Breaking The Law. Good set but wasn't blown away. Venom inc were on not too long after and put on an excellent show considering the stage is probably a bit smaller than they're use to. They blasted through 19 tracks of mostly classic Venom! While it's not the original Venom, Demolition Man does a good job at the lead vocals and bass duties. No one could replace Cronos and his unique vocal inflections, but the tunes come across with that Venom heaviness. Closest comparison I can think of is picture Lemmy doing Venom vocals. I didn't walk away thinking the songs had been ruined because of a different singer. Big thing I did notice is how much better musicians they were since the last time I'd seen them. Abbaddon and Mantis are a very tight unit...as many years of playing together shows. Mantis is also 12 weeks removed from a double bypass due to suffering from a massive heart attack and being dead for 5 minutes while paramedics worked at reviving him. Nice chest scar!!
Final verdict:thumbsup:
Sounds like a great time!
The opening band sounds interesting, albeit I don't care much for Breaking The Law and almost everything else that JP ever did. (that's right, I just said THAT!!!)
Mantas is looking good, although he's certainly bulked up from the early days not unlike Raven's Mark Gallagher.

Good to hear that they can play thier instruments now.
I remember seeing Venom on their first American tour with Metallica as the opening act in an old theater in NYC. Metallica was introducing Kill 'Em All at the time and just ripped our faces off as they ushered in the new era of metal.
Venom on the other hand could barely play their instruments in the live environment and had to stop a few songs and start over again when they got lost.

They did however manage to impress mightily with their pyrotechnics during their set opener. The venue was an old movie theater as near as I could tell. All the seats were removed. Lots of room to move about freely as it wasn't nearly sold out. My friends and I hung towards the middle of the floor because we'd seen the arsenal that Venom had on stage. Sure enough during the opener, Cronos and Mantas both went to separate sides of the stage and when the tech hit the button and set that puppy off it sent all those near the stage running for their lives and it literally blew a hole big enough to drop a 55 gallon drum through the middle of the stage which Cronos and Mantas had to negotiate the rest of the set.

Venom - At War With Satan
1984 Neat Records NEAT 1015

https://www.discogs.com/Venom-At-War-With-Satan/master/57710
006.jpg

007.jpg

It's been a whole month since I last span some vinyl. Hot summer days and nights just means no time indoors for records.

Picked this little item up last weekend. A Gloversville pressing of Second Helping. Nice heavy vinyl, and sounds wonderful!

p9Cj63H.jpg

Back
Top Bottom