Today's motoring fun. TWO flat tires !!?

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
Taking my kid to an orthopedic appointment. Going along just fine. Stop at a red light. Wait till it turns green and take off and a couple hundred feet after that........ hear the unmistakable sound of a flat tire.

Oh well, better pull over and change the tire. Get out to look and find.........THIS ....... WTF???

pickup truck (2).jpg

Arrrrgh. Make the split second decision to drive two more miles so we can get to the doctor appt. Know driving on flats will render the tires unfixable, but I really need new tires anyway so...

Finish the appointment, then call in a rollback to take the truck to Mr. Tire. I'll pick up baby with her new shoes tomorrow.

Cannot figure out what happened. AFAIK didn't drive over any debris. Nothing obvious happened so ...what?

... but I really need new tires anyway so ...

Finish the appointment, then call in a rollback to take the truck to Mr. Tire. I'll pick up baby with her new shoes tomorrow.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of tires did you get?

i carry sealant in the car . it blows the tyre up and seals it .
p.s hope it didn't damage the rims driving 2 miles on them .

If you have TPMS don't use fix a flat. Tire guys hate it anyway as it makes an unholy mess inside the rim.

Probably a good idea. How long of a shelf life does that stuff have ?

Rims weren't damaged. The tires are 265/75-16 and have a huge sidewall, hence plenty of rubber to spread out when they went flat. I was quite careful driving those two miles, especially when turning corners. The closest they came to disaster was when the guy at the tire place was pulling the truck into the service bay. He tried doing a fairly sharp turn and almost rolled the rim off the tire........ but it stayed underneath so the rim didn't get damaged.

Very unusual. Must have run over something pretty gnarly if it took two out while at a red light.

Very unusual. Must have run over something pretty gnarly if it took two out while at a red light.

A real mystery I'm telling you... Just the day before I'd gone around and checked and adjusted pressure on a couple cars and that truck. All was normal. The drive to the doctor's office was maybe 10 miles tops. No recollection of seeing anything in the road, nor of running over anything, etc. Just very strange.

This happens to me more often than I care to think about, and it’s almost always when driving past construction.

That sucks, Rick. My wife had a similar thing happen a year back , drove onto a shoulder to get around turning traffic and when she went back up unto the pavement, the edge of the blacktop cut both right side tires. We had to get it hauled on a rollback about 30 miles to the dealer. The tires were replaced under road hazard coverage- these were low profile 17 inch on an Audi , about $250 each. They were fairly new so we lucked out.

If you have TPMS don't use fix a flat. Tire guys hate it anyway as it makes an unholy mess inside the rim.
My car doesn't have TPMS but I found out the hard way that the white fix-a-flat will, over time, corrode any aluminum it touches. My tire guys says its ok for short term (get you to a tire repair shop, clean out all of the fix-a-flat and repair) and ok w/steel wheels, but not to use it for something like bead leaks and such with any aluminum. I hear that the green slime is inert and not corrosive but it is thicker and too much could cause wheel imbalance.
My car does have a matching full size spare and I'm pretty fanatical about keeping all five tires spot on pressure-wise.

I have a vehicle parked for a flat. Need to order a pair of tires for it.... Cooper 20" LT tires ain't cheap.

Lol..... I thought I'd replaced the tires on the pickup about 5 to 7 years ago. Found the receipt. It was April 2005......

yeah you were due anyway. The car I'm picking up tomorrow has tires with 2002 date codes and the extensive cracking to prove it. My other car has tires from 2003 that I got NOS in 2010. They also need to be replaced. You'd think for a guy buying so much rubber I'd be having more fun.

I remember going with my parents on vacation to Texas (we visited Dallas and San Antonio). To put this into perspective, it was around the early 80s, when our economy wasn't so hot. Driving down there, we ended up with a flat tire. Nail. Next day or so, another flat, the other tire on that side, another nail in nearly the same spot on that tire, but a bit close to the sidewall, so the shop installed an innertube for it. Given it was the exact same type of nail in both and the similar location, we figured it was one of those Texas folks who hated anyone from Michigan, because we were all flocking to Texas at the time and taking their jobs. Ended up buying four new tires not too long after we got back home.

Back
Top Bottom