Today's Progressive Rock Tunes

Bruce Springsteen -- The River --
512%2BcL%2Bzc3L._SS500.jpg

Starting with some Floyd. Going to do critical listening to determine which one of these sounds better. Both in Redbook Layer

Now Playing Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here SACD German Remaster, V.S. Mastersound Gold Version
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php
The final verdict is in: The Sony Mastersound Gold Collectors Edition with SBM wins.

1. Better and tighter, more impact full bass

2. More details, cleary more present

3. Mids more balanced not in your face as much

4. Deeper fuller soundfield

My hypothesis is the following:

1. The Sony Mastersound was created from the original master tapes just like the SACD Redbook version Remastered by James Guthrie in 2011, this meaning the master tapes with the Guthrie German Remaster tapes are nearly 20 years older then the Sony SBM version. Sony SBM version had "fresher master tapes"???...

2. Sony's SBM actually works as designed per the white papers I've read.

Both actually sound very good. However, careful listening revealed my Mastersound version has an edge up, if I were to give them numbers 10=best, the Sony SBM Gold Collectors Edition is a 9.5 SQ, where as the newer Guthrie German remaster is an 8 SQ.

This must be the reason I see rediculously priced Mastersound versions of this CD on Ebay.

Winner:
index.php

Close second:
index.php

For the test I used my real time spectrum Analyzer / SPL DRO to confirm I had SPL levels matched to an RMS level of 85dbA @ 1 meter L/R - and yes, I used a tape measure to confirm distance and height relationship to my speakers. I Listened to track #1 up to the 12 minute point on both tests.

This must also explain why my new (old) MFSL DSOTM and MFSL MEDDLE are also the best copies I have. The master tapes were a lot fresher in 1989 compared to the newer German Guthrie remasters. The difference in sound with these two MFSL CD's is dramatically better than the German Guthrie remasters, same applies to my MFSL Wall, way better than the Guthrie German Remaster. Also, they (MFSL) does half speed master as one of their tricks.

Looking forward to getting my Rush 2112 MFSL CD to compare against the great Bob Ludwig Rush Remasters. I'm expecting the MFSL will win again, because as with the others, the master tapes were much younger in 1989. If it's not better, than it's a $58.00 pretty gold CD....

FWIW

-Blitz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom