Today's Progressive Rock Tunes

Steven Wilson - 4 1/2

4-12-567c2c5ecf808.jpg

I seriously doubt that! Perhaps your view is too open? Or perhaps I'm thinking of what is called "Prog". The term "progressive" can mean anything a little different.
Anyhoo....Rock on!

This ∆ is a discussion worth having, Progressive Rock is a genre, with many subgenres. One would think you would know it when you hear it. We all know country, polka, jazz, classical, metal, blues, disco and funk, etc. But with "Prog" it's become far more convoluted.
"Progressive" the word, means to advance, but that alone doesn't define the musical genre of the same name. Perhaps Santana has advanced rock and Latin influences, and has been a pioneer for good music. But one would never mistake him for Gentle Giant, King Crimson, UK, ELP.

Interesting reading at this site about "Prog" genres.
http://www.progarchives.com

This ∆ is a discussion worth having, Progressive Rock is a genre, with many subgenres. One would think you would know it when you hear it. We all know country, polka, jazz, classical, metal, blues, disco and funk, etc. But with "Prog" it's become far more convoluted.
"Progressive" the word, means to advance, but that alone doesn't define the musical genre of the same name. Perhaps Santana has advanced rock and Latin influences, and has been a pioneer for good music. But one would never mistake him for Gentle Giant, King Crimson, UK, ELP.

Interesting reading at this site about "Prog" genres.
http://www.progarchives.com

The thread is called "Progressive"
This place is "OCD" enough with out all this nitpicking
An example, IMW "Supertramp" barely qualifies, but I don't "dump" on people who list it here.
My last thoughts on the subject

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to agree. There is nothing even close to a universally accepted definition of progressive rock. I don't think we should debate the selections that people choose to post here, for the most part. If someone starts posting Taylor Swift albums here, then yeah, a little clarification would be in order ;) But most of what gets posted here is close enough for the spirit of the thread.

My two cents. I hear hints and traces and influences of what I consider to be prog rock in many bands. Many bands that I classify as metal have heavy prog influences. Iron Maiden, Fates Warning, Armored Saint, Queensryche, the list is a mile long.
I consider The Allman Brothers Band to be progressive southern rock. But you probably won't see me posting any of that stuff on this thread though. For me, Prog Rock is defined as rock with a heavily keyboard driven European Classical Music influence.

I'm very narrow minded about prog and really don't have a very large collection. ELP and Yes form the bulk of it.

Early this year we regularly saw AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynyrd Blue Oyster Cult, Molly Hatchet, The Steve Miller Band, ZZ Top and a variety of other non-prog bands being posted here on a daily basis. We had a similar discussion at that time and that activity pretty much ceased.

I agree with Skylab that most of what get's posted here now is at least somewhere in the scope and range of prog.

Now, as for compilation albums not being prog? Of course they're still prog. They're not "concept albums" per se but it's still progressive rock music. There is one exception that I can think of and that is "This Is The Moody Blues" as it was remastered in such a way as to make it a flowing, conceptual album start to finish.
006.jpg

I saw this at the used store as well. I vaguely remember having it back in the day. I didn't buy it but I got a kick out the photos of the band members on the back
You should pick it up if you see it again. They're were to Yes what Triumvirat was to ELP. The music is excellent. Lead vocals not to my liking as they're kind of wimpy, but I can deal with it.

Thanks - I couldn't remember what the band sounded like. I'll pick it up if I can find it next time I'm there.
Pretty much 90% Yes and 10% Kansas. Really outstanding musicianship and production qualities. That debut album is the best of the three that I own. It's the most progressive in nature and the subsequent releases became more radio oriented. But they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Their last album which I don't have supposedly has no progressive leanings whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom