Todays Punk Playlist

post punk, proto punk, garage punk, cow punk, hardcore, queercore, grindcore, crust......... all counts as far as I'm concerned

Great. I think I will add Iggy Pop, The Velvet Underground, The Violent Femes, Patti Smith, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Big Audio Dynamite, Public Image Limited, Psychadelic Furs, and New Order all belong on this thread too. Of course there were probably 100s of great punk bands that took the stage at CBGB's back in the day and never made it big time. Although I always hated the roaches that crawled behind me and between my feet.

Any Living End fans out here? I really like 'Roll On'. Their guitar player is probably the best rock player I've heard, and the sound quality on this album is excellent. I think they are very popular in Australia, but not so much here in the US. Kind of a punkabilly sound if you're not familiar with them.

The only problem with some of the classic punk is that the sound quality can be pretty dismal. Husker Du comes to mind.

I saw a referece to Pere Ubu. I saw them twice. They put on a very good show. I remember they had this electronic widget (it has a name, I just can't remember it at the moment) which sensed the proximity of your hand to the device, and emitted a tone based on how far away your hand was. Move your hand closer, and the tone gets higher. They let the crowd play this thing, and there was one guy who took to it pretty quickly. It was just something I hadn't seen before.

Here are a few bands in my current rotation:

Old Punk:

Adolescents - Adolescents
TSOL - Beneath The Shadows
Agression - Dont be Mistaken
Wasted Youth - Reagans In
Simpletones
Flyboys
Middle Class - Blueprint for Joy
Governemnt Issue - Dischord 1981
Doggy Style - Side By Side

New Punk:

Government Warning - No Moderation
The Vicious - Alienated
Rabies - "Test Your Might" and "Disease Core"
Bad Antics
Guilty Faces
Frienly Neighbors
Harpoon Guns - S/T

Nightmarchers-See You in Magic(new one from John"Speedo"Reiss from Rocket From The Crypt)
Belrays-Have a Little Faith

The Damned-Damned Damned Damned
Bad Religion-How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
The Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks...Here's The Sex Pistols

Who else is listening to punk? I dont care how you define it, Sonic's, Stooges, Saints, Sex Pistols, Sum 41 :scratch2:whatever, what are you spinning?

I miss the Surf Punks!

Shark Attack is one of the most honest recordings of all time! It sounds like it was recorded in a garage with all sorts of crazy echos and such, but it sounds *real*.

Back
Top Bottom