Today's "Rap/ Hip Hop" Playlist

But I have always alphabetized artists' names by their LAST initial -- isn't that how it's supposed to be done?

In other words, "James Brown" would go under "B," not "J"...

When talking about Rob Base, the reason I asked is because that's not really a "formal" name of his; it's a stage name, so I wasn't sure if the "Base" in his stage name should be acknowledged...
That's what happens when you have a four-year-old breathing down your neck and grabbing you while typing (arrghh....). I revised my reply from earlier to basically state one alphabetizes the work by the first inital of a duo/group and last initial of a solo artist. In the example you cited "Brown, James" is correct. "Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock" is a performance duo fronted by a staged name of "Rob Base" and is univerally known amongst fans/critics as "Rob Base." Alphabetizing the duo's work under "R" makes it more uniformly accessible, as most most people would seek out "Rob" while sorting through viny/cassettes/CD/whatever format versus "Base." The leading article "the" is still dropped for conformity to our alphabet. Thus "The Beatles, The Byrds, The Jets" would be filed under "B" and "J" respectively in light of the group/duo names. "Bob Dylan," "Steve Miller," and "Phil Collins" would be filed under "D," "M," and "C" in regard to their last initials.

That's what happens when you have a four-year-old breathing down your neck and grabbing you while typing (arrghh....). I revised my reply from earlier to basically state one alphabetizes the work by the first inital of a duo/group and last initial of a solo artist. In the example you cited "Brown, James" is correct. "Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock" is a performance duo fronted by a staged name of "Rob Base" and is univerally known amongst fans/critics as "Rob Base." Alphabetizing the duo's work under "R" makes it more uniformly accessible, as most most people would seek out "Rob" while sorting through viny/cassettes/CD/whatever format versus "Base." The leading article "the" is still dropped for conformity to our alphabet. Thus "The Beatles, The Byrds, The Jets" would be filed under "B" and "J" respectively in light of the group/duo names. "Bob Dylan," "Steve Miller," and "Phil Collins" would be filed under "D," "M," and "C" in regard to their last initials.

Got it (and of course I know that "the" is always dropped; I have a pretty large CD/Blu-ray/DVD collection, as well, and always drop "the" from the titles, as I do "An" or "A"...however, I do something a bit out of the ordinary with "numerical" bands or titles like "3 Doors Down," "3rd Bass," "2 Live Crew" or "8 Mile": I actually "verbalize" the numerical portion and put the CD/DVD/album/Blu-ray under the phonetically sounded-out number....so, "3rd Bass" goes under "THIRD Bass," while "2 Live Crew" goes under "TWO Live Crew" etc) -- I will now go back and put Rob Base's albums under "R" in my collection....thanks for your help!

I may have some more "questionable" categorizing tasks for you, so stand by...lol....

And I'm assuming you'd say "Biz Markie" should go under "B," not "M," correct? :confused:
{Laughing hysterically} Topics like these are the reason why most of the world outside of the US, most of Canada, and the United Kingdom despises the English language. We make shit unnecessarily complex!

The crux of the matter is this: are the majority of individuals seeking said material going by the most commonly known name or are they amassing materials for archival purposes?

Most record/music stores, municipal libraries, and personal collectors would file the former Juice Crew member's work under "B," as, as stated earlier, most rap afficianado's are seeking the works of one Biz Markie. Wannabe librarians and all-around nerds could flip the script and state they'd file the material under "M," as doing so provides addendum for future changes in name. What I mean is this:

"Brown, James" for works of James Brown filed under "B"
"Brown, James and the (backing band name)" for works of James Brown with the Famous Flames, J.B.s, et al. filed under "B"

Example filing: "Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps"

The majority of individuals would expect to find this album filed under "B," as they are not prone to seek or speak of hip-hop rhymes from one "Markie." If Biz chose to call up fellow former Juice Crew member Big Daddy Kane and drop a joint album, nerds and anal-retentive types would most likely file it in the following manner:

"Markie, Biz and Big Daddy Kane - Fictional Album Title."

As stated a couple of sentences ago, in the majority of cases even this fictional work most likely would be filed under "B" as the performer in question is most commonly/universally first referred to as "Biz," whether as "Biz Markie," "(The) Biz," "(The Diabolical) Biz Markie," or "Biz Markie (The Inhuman Orchestra)". They're seeking works from neither "Hall, Marcel" nor "Markie."

Last edited:
{Laughing hysterically} Topics like these are the reason why most of the world outside of the US, most of Canada, and the United Kingdom despise the English language. We make shit unnecessarily complex!

The crux of the matter is this: are the majority of individuals seeking said material going by the most commonly known name or are amassing materials for archival purposes?

Most record/music stores, municipal libraries, and personal collector's would file the former Juice Crew member's work under "B," as, as stated earlier, most rap afficianado's are seeking the works of one Biz Markie. Wannabe librarians and all-around nerds could flip the script and state they'd file the material under "M," as doing so provides addendum for future changes in name. What I mean is this:

"Brown, James and the " for works of James Brown with the Famous Flames, J.B.s,

The majority of individuals would expect to find this album filed under "B," as they are not prone to seek or speak of hip-hop rhymes from one "Markie." If Biz chose to call up fellow Juice Crew member Big Daddy Kane and drop a joint album, nerds and anal-retentive types would most likely file it in the following manner:

"Markie, Biz and Big Daddy Kane - Fictional Album Title." As stated a couple of sentences ago, in the majority of cases even this fictional work most likely would be filed under "B" as the performer in question is most commonly/universally first referred to as "Biz," whether as "Biz Markie," "(The) Biz," "(The Diabolical) Biz Markie," or "Biz Markie (The Inhuman Orchestra)". They're seeking neither "Hall, Marcel" nor "Markie."

I know I made you laugh, but you indeed brought me to hysteric plateaus with your detailed explanation regarding the intricacies of some genuine ****in' idiots like the ones we're discussing (Biz, Big Daddy et al, all of which are more than likely working at Burger King or a car wash in Flatbush right now)...:rflmao::eek:

May give this a cleaning and spin in a bit:

View attachment 966286 View attachment 966287
O.K. You got me. This is one of those artists you claim not to like in public but turn around and play in private. I'm not a fan of his work at large but will admit my head bobbed with the best of them when "Go See the Doctor" came on. As elementary as most of his rhymes came across, this one in particular snagged my attention and I love the underlying track to this day.

O.K. You got me. This is one of those artists you claim not to like in public but turn around and play in private. I'm not a fan of his work at large but will admit my head bobbed with the best of them when "Go See the Doctor" came on. As elementary as most of his rhymes came across, this one in particular snagged my attention and I love the underlying track to this day.

Was gonna say that "Go See the Doctor" was his best track; the rest kind of forgettable...I remember cracking up at the lyrics of that song when I used to hear it on New York's radio stations that would be headed by guys like Red Alert and Mister Magic..."Why is my **** burnin' like this?" "I said hey good lookin, what cha got cookin....turned around and stuck my ***** in..." Hahahahahaha. Absolutely priceless.

Yeah, Knowledge is King kinda sucked; I cleaned it off and spun it, but it wasn't memorable to say the least. I think I actually got this through the BMG record club I was part of at the time, where they'd send you a "record of the month"...:rolleyes:

35519807910_5051c0831d_b.jpg

Phenomenon

LL Cool J

1997 Def Jam Recordings/CRC P2-39186

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

{Laughing hysterically} Topics like these are the reason why most of the world outside of the US, most of Canada, and the United Kingdom despises the English language. We make shit unnecessarily complex!

The crux of the matter is this: are the majority of individuals seeking said material going by the most commonly known name or are they amassing materials for archival purposes?

Most record/music stores, municipal libraries, and personal collectors would file the former Juice Crew member's work under "B," as, as stated earlier, most rap afficianado's are seeking the works of one Biz Markie. Wannabe librarians and all-around nerds could flip the script and state they'd file the material under "M," as doing so provides addendum for future changes in name. What I mean is this:

"Brown, James and the (backing band name)" for works of James Brown with the Famous Flames, J.B.s, et al. filed under "B"

The majority of individuals would expect to find this album filed under "B," as they are not prone to seek or speak of hip-hop rhymes from one "Markie." If Biz chose to call up fellow former Juice Crew member Big Daddy Kane and drop a joint album, nerds and anal-retentive types would most likely file it in the following manner:

"Markie, Biz and Big Daddy Kane - Fictional Album Title."

As stated a couple of sentences ago, in the majority of cases even this fictional work most likely would be filed under "B" as the performer in question is most commonly/universally first referred to as "Biz," whether as "Biz Markie," "(The) Biz," "(The Diabolical) Biz Markie," or "Biz Markie (The Inhuman Orchestra)". They're seeking works from neither "Hall, Marcel" nor "Markie."

Hey Let Me Ask You This, KD...

I hear what you're sayin' about puttin' "Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock" under "R" because they're considered an ACT (or group)...but what about Base's follow-up album which DIDN'T feature E-Z Rock and was credited to JUST Rob Base...would you put that under "R" too, coming after It Takes Two in a vinyl collection? Or would you put that under "B" because it's more of a "proper" name (even though it's still a stage name for him)?

Nice!

Is that on vinyl? Can't tell from the picture of the packaging...

When it comes to Uncle L, I have Radio, Walking With a Panther and Mama Said Knock You Out on vinyl, as well as 14 Shots to the Dome and his All World greatest hits on CD...

All 8 of my LLs are on CD.

I'm sorry I have 9 not 8. Mama Said Knock You Out, 14 Shots to the Dome, Mr. Smith, All World, Phenomenon, G.O.A.T., 10, The Definition and Todd Smith.

I'm searching for a new copy of the vinyl reissue of Bigger And Deffer, or perhaps a mint second-hand copy, which was one of my favorite LL albums (I had the cassette when it came out but lost it over the years).

Hey Let Me Ask You This, KD...

I hear what you're sayin' about puttin' "Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock" under "R" because they're considered an ACT (or group)...but what about Base's follow-up album which DIDN'T feature E-Z Rock and was credited to JUST Rob Base...would you put that under "R" too, coming after It Takes Two in a vinyl collection? Or would you put that under "B" because it's more of a "proper" name (even though it's still a stage name for him)?
"R" still stands. In the vast majority of cases "Rob Base" will fall just beyond the middle of a cluster of "R" albums filed sequentially between "R/alphanumerical character/a" - "R/alphanumerical character/z."

"R" still stands. In the vast majority of cases "Rob Base" will fall just beyond the middle of a cluster of "R" albums filed sequentially between "R/alphanumerical character/a" - "R/alphanumerical character/z."

Why do you think that is, though? Because it's his "stage" name and not real name?

Back
Top Bottom