Today's ROCKABILLY play list

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Rockabilly has always been one of the favs in music for me and I think a lot out there as evidenced by how often I found in past threads it keeps coming up. So, thought that maybe there might be still a continued interest in looking a little closer at this genre that has a bit of this and a bit of that in its musical makeup...as explained within the word "Rockabilly" itself.

When just a kid cluing into the Rock scene, and heard this guy on the radio and as they say the rest was history...it was Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

The beat was lighter, it was fast, the lyrics were simple and it was really great to dance to...it was Rockabilly and I was hooked!:music:

So, hope that there are others out there who can help me and others know more about some of the performers that were/are in this area of Rock.

Just a while back I picked up a new LP put out by Brian Setzer (formally of the Stray Cats) labled "Rockabilly Riot" (2014). It was my first new album. All the songs were written by Setzer and most of them are really well played and the arrangements tight.
My fav which is on the humourous side, "I Should'a Had A V-8". The songs are varied as well making for a great mix. If you're into RAB... it's clean and it's mean!

There's a lot more to this substrata in Rock, the history, the formation, the groups, the effects on later groups, other countries that still are big on this music, the dress that went with this type of music, etc....I hope others will chime in and create a rich information base wherein others can learn by their sharing.

Q2

Thank you "tubed"! That was cool. First share in being aware.

What's neat about RAB is...three guys/gals can carry it off (only a three way $split at the end of the gig).:) No complex mix. Lryics easy to remember. Mind you lead really has to carry the load filling out the sound...that's where Setzer shines. He plays so well, it sounds like he has a rythmn back up.

Q2

Awesome thread! I will be lurking. :lurk:

Can't beat the Rev if you prefer your Rockabilly on the Pyschobilly side.

It's... it's...it's different, y'all! First time heard this "side".

Kinda like a meld of the Brit "Shadows" and reg RAM.

Got some new names now that I kin look up and check out.

No mention of "The Stray Cats" that Setzer was in?????????? I thought that that "Stray Cat Strut" was way cool...to drool over.

Q2

Stray Cats are great, and can be credited with bring RAB to the masses (IMHO). There are so many more I've discovered on this thread - thanks to the OP for starting it.

Stray Cats are great, and can be credited with bring RAB to the masses (IMHO). There are so many more I've discovered on this thread - thanks to the OP for starting it.

I'd like to believe that this is but a starting point for this almost forgotten half folk half rock music that was at the start of the whole history of Rock.

Both the "Stones" and the "Beatles" said they got a lot of their stuff, esp at the beginning of their careers until they developed their own style.

I know that still in Japan, many are hooked into Rockabilly still in a big way.

If not mistaken, I think "The Killer", Lewis cut his teeth in the Sun Record studio along with other greats, Johnny Cash, Elvis and Perkins.

Thanks for the shares to date, the RAM base is starting to get a footing.

Q2

The Du-Rite Aces
Labatt Edmonton Blues Festival
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
24 August 2007

Back
Top Bottom