Today's ROCKABILLY play list

Just a hold of a "Willy And the Poor Boys" LP... not listened to yet, but anticipating some RAB tunes on this album. In pristine cond.!

Did a bit of a resarch on this group... and the results were REALLY interesting. Seems like the Stone's drummer was a key player involved in this album effort, with a lot of history to go along with it. Will have have to share after I have a handle on the cuts.

Q

Just a hold of a "Willy And the Poor Boys" LP... not listened to yet, but anticipating some RAB tunes on this album. In pristine cond.!

Did a bit of a resarch on this group... and the results were REALLY interesting. Seems like the Stone's drummer was a key player involved in this album effort, with a lot of history to go along with it. Will have have to share after I have a handle on the cuts.

Q
Actually the Stone's bass player, Bill Wyman is "Willy". Cool record.

I hear you on Wyman's envolvement that was an escape from the Stone's group and for humanitarian reasons as well.

Seems a the bassist, Bill Wyman, was a friend (Ronnie Lane) who was at the time in a Brit group, "Small Faces" and this same chap developed MS and needed help with funds to help him and for future research in this terrible disease.

So, several Brit celebs: Charlie Watts, Glyn and others put together a group who aided in this beneficial event to raise the needed money. Guess by this time, Wyman was having more fun with this extra curric playing than he was in the Stones, as he felt not really part of it at the time. So, they went on to go from "The All Star Band" to "Willy and The Poor Boys". The Poor Boys was outta respect to CCR who had a fair influence on their music as well. Thus, they got together and produced, "Willy and The Poor Boys" which I picked up for $3 in pristine condition. Personally, I think some didn't know what it was or hadn't heard of this group in the store.

"Willy and The Poor Boys" (1970) isn't solely a rockabilly album, but you can def hear this genre on several of the songs. The rest of the cuts is classic rock with a sprinkling of blues on one or two compositions.

It is well played as evidenced by the performers and the arrangements are nice and tight. Each song is well thought out and is different from the preceding one which is refreshing to listen to from side A to side B.

For me, it was a well spent three bucks as I got the best of three music worlds and it seems one of a kind created out of love for another in need of help.

Q

Last edited:
Love the cover of "Baby Please Don't Go" with Chris Rea singing lead off the Willie & The Poor Boys album

If you like their self-titled, look for "Tear It Up" and "Double Bill". Personally I'd go for John Lennon's "Rock & Roll" when it comes to rockers looking back at their youth.

Putting the stray cats best of on to reel
This was just meant to be on tape

I really like two numbers by the "Stray Cats" in particular..."Stray Cat Strut" :music:and "Gonna Rock This town"!:banana:

Only three in the group, but Setzer does such a great job of fill in along with lead.

Q

Back
Top Bottom