Today's Sketchy Sh*t

Also, apologies if you know this but some people don't seem to, when looping a wire around a screw, the loop should always go in a clockwise direction as you look at the screw head so that tightening the screw tightens the loop as well.

I got this wrong on an outlet a while back and realized it after I'd put the wall plate on. I intended to fix it the next morning...

That was ~1 year ago. I *should* take care of that I guess.

This: "Sadly, "Denty" fell though the roof of a local bowling alley and was killed".

Denty was like 77 years old, and like he was prone to do, was doing the owners of the bowling alley a favor. Oddly enough, they were friends of my dad and my uncle died in the restaurant they used to own.

We've had some bizarre things happen to people who worked for us. Thankfully, none of them met their doom or committed their crimes while they were working.

The strangest one was when a guy who we hired to cut our grass on a rental property we own was found dead in an abandoned car in a church parking lot. We had been trying to contact him for a couple of days and wondered where he had gone to. After a couple of days, it was determined he had been electrocuted. After the police investigated, they found his two friends that were with him when he died and the truth came out. The three of them were stealing copper wire from an old building, and the soon to be late kid ignored the security light right next to where he began to yank wire out. He was using his bare hands and he ended up sitting down on a railing. His friends finally kicked him off, and instead of trying to do CPR or even call 911, they put him in his car, and parked it at the church and then went on their way. They ended up doing some time for abuse of a corpse. Sadly, this was long enough to go that I can't seem to find the story online.

Another guy who did some painting for us got drunk one night and after driving his wife and kids out of the house, got a phone call from a "friend", who wanted the money he owed him. Instead of paying the money, the moron went over to his house with a baseball bat and smashed his head in. He got 7 to 12 years for manslaughter. When he got out, he called us and asked us if we had any painting that needed to be done. We told him no.

We had another guy who we hired to clear some "Trees of Heaven" off the lot above. We gave him $100 for a dumpster rent and we agreed for $200 more when it was done. He never showed up. No dumpster was dropped off. We called him over and over again, and got no answer. I finally did the job myself, and I have to say, he was way too cheap. The day after I got done with it, the local paper had an article about a local guy found dead. Nope, it wasn't him, but a couple of days later, he was named as the suspect. A few days after that, he was caught and has been in prison since then and will never get out.

And then there is the roofer who took a couple of percocets for his back, washed them down with a couple of beers, and hit and killed a woman the night before he wedding! I know where he hit her well, and even though the pills and booze made it a DUI, the woman's death was almost for sure entirely her fault. For some unknown reason, he turned down a plea bargain for 4 years, went to trial and was found guilty in 20 minutes. He got 12 years and served the whole thing!

There are a couple more, but these are the *special* ones...

This is the proper way to do it. You don't want the receptacle itself to be the splice point for the whole circuit.
Probably just a matter of time before Nate's faulty receptacle took out the whole circuit.

I had a similar thing going on in my garage/shop. I was running my tablesaw one day, and everything cut out.. I found that an outlet that was overloaded had actually melted and failed! It was the first outlet in the chain... I am remodeling part of our house, and have had to rewire everything I've uncovered. Just terrible work..

Back
Top Bottom