Today's SOUL Playlist

The upside of being older oh dear oh dear oh dear. Is i fortunately been around long enough (66 years) to see Two of these vocal ensembles live being The Temptations 1972 line up with the late Damon Harris , Dennis Edwards. The album they were promoting at this particular Time was "Take a Look around. that was 1972, The Four Tops 1971, I have a couple of thumbs down about these acts The performances was superb they were professional. The only trouble was with the musicians Union rules they were not aloud to bring their own musicians. So the Motown sound Was in fact more Like the Manchester sound for those in the UK. My other criticism i feel very strongly about this and that is medleys . Me as an audience would rather hear 6 of their hits sung really well than 16 sung at a pace it sounds like someone's said. come on guys the pub shuts in ten minutes were out of here. Why do they put in crap cabaret songs that have no relation to what the people want to hear. Will someone at least try to explain and they do the full version and treat us to 20 second of Loving you is sweeter Than Ever is so sacreligious.

There used to be a fantastic live black and white clip on Youtube of Sam & Dave singing a slow version instead of these lets get this over with live quick version of "You Don't know Like I know" with a full band , a great youtube moment.

Anyway

These people really could sing Levi Stubbs was amazing when we saw him and so was the Temptations. I scratch my head a bit about all these groups. Have you seen the Russell Thompkins Jr interview. Where he saying he recorded the first Two stylistics albums on his own. I love "Pieces" The other members were brought in later. it was all session singers on the records. When i saw a billboard in my town saying The Stylistics were in town. I can't help thinking with no disrespect. That they are a tribute band. No Russell Thompkins Jr. At the same time I realise these people are all musicians and have to eat and love their work.

I saw the Animals were playing live somewhere and the only original member is the drummer. i'm thinking hang on..

Last edited:
Well..... It's Been Quite A Minute, Hasn't It???

UP TONIGHT!!!!

Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley Quintet -- The Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley Quintet -- Capitol (1961)(Vinyl)

Side #1: "Save Your Love For Me"; "Teaneck"; "I Will Never Marry"; "I Can't Get Started"; "This Old Country"; "One Man's Dream"
Side #2: "Happy Talk"; "Never Say Yes"; "The Masquerade Is Over"; "Unit 7"; "A Sleepin' Bee"

Volume Turned UP UP UP

--Charles--

LP Has Been Cleaned & Vacuum Dried Prior To Placing Onto Turntable.

R-6519284-1421090801-1744.jpeg.jpg

R-6519284-1421090815-5231.jpeg.jpg

R-6519284-1421090816-7489.jpeg.jpg

R-6519284-1421090817-5306.jpeg.jpg

NOW UP (AND FINAL FOR TONIGHT)!!!!

Count Basie & His Orchestra -- The Best Of Basie -- Roulette (1962)(Vinyl)

Side #1: "Jumpin' At The Woodside"; "Blue & Sentimental"; Red Bank Boogie"; "Sent For You Yesterday"; "Shorty George"; "Rock-A-Bye Basie"
Side #2: "Every Tub"; "Jive At Five"; "Down For Double"; "Boogie Woogie (I May Be Wrong)": "Taps Miller"; "Swingin' The Blues"

Volume Turned UP UP UP

--Charles--

LP Has Been Cleaned & Vacuum Dried Prior To Placing Onto Turntable.

R-544317-1398541164-1740.jpeg.jpg

R-544317-1353520827-1132.jpeg.jpg

R-544317-1353520838-8011.jpeg.jpg

R-544317-1353520845-8563.jpeg.jpg

While working on a new playlist last week, (I still refer to them as "Mixed Tapes"), using the theme of Free/Freedom, I came across three great songs I didn't know I had. Ray Charles doing "Don't Set Me Free", Otis Redding's song "Free Me" & Irma Thomas singing "I Wish I Knew How It Felt To Be Free". Considering that I am a huge fan of both Otis & Irma, I was pleasantly surprised to find these songs in their catalog that I didn't even recognize. The Ray Charles song was a nice bonus as well.

Putting these track lists together has proven to be beneficial to me as I am finding material that I already own that has eluded me in my listening sessions. Finding a new to me 50 year old Otis Redding song, Priceless. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom