1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Speakers vs Vintage Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Davis, Jun 16, 2018.

1. z-adamson

z-adamson Super Member

If I / we have it all wrong, then set it straight.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $1000 that will outperform the JBL L112.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $500 that will outperform JBL L110.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Audio Fan

Audio Fan First Class, Second Hand Subscriber

1967 Shelby Cobra - 0-60 in 6.5 sec --------- Price: Fair condition $111,000, Concours condition $252,000

2018 Shelby Cobra - 0-60 in 4.3 sec --------- Price $54,000

New cars surely have better performance, but you know you REALLY want to drive up in that '67 Shelby :thumbsup:

lbls1 likes this.
  3. Drum

Drum Active Member

I forgot that cars and speakers are almost exactly the same thing.

How about something else just as irrelevant.

hammer 1967 - drives nails.
    hammer 2018 - drives nails.

Not all items improve / mature at the same rate - if at all.;)

4. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Depends entirely upon who assesses the performance. Your opinion is clear, but that's all it is.

stish likes this.
  5. IPADave

IPADave Which one's Pink? Subscriber

This thread is like the majority of the Equipment threads on AK. Two camps with opposite views that can't see across the chasm. Fortunately, there is a 3rd camp, although in small numbers. They are the ones trying to achieve good sound regardless if it's new or vintage. Chocolate! Peanut Butter!. I'll have a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup.

-Dave

OnTheBlitz, stish, frankbooth and 7 others like this.
  6. musichal

I have both new and vintage, and love both. Agree.

stish, GChief and IPADave like this.

7. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Vintage speakers often need work and tweaking to perform well. New speakers perform well right out of the box, if they are good.
    I am vintage for several reasons, but none are because of superior SQ to new.

stish, GChief and musichal like this.
  8. z-adamson

z-adamson Super Member

If you were assessing performance what would your conclusion be?

Considering I was talking to 3db, I though it was clear that his assessment was asked for.

9. musichal

Then pardon me for interrupting. I missed that.

My assessment would require a comparison, not conjecture.

Now, before long I will be comparing my Klipsch Forte with my Monitor Audio Silver 6. Will begin a thread when I do; watch for it.

stish and IPADave like this.
  10. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

"Out of the box", I've heard that some manufacturers recommend 100+ hours of break in time, myth, ploy or reality;)

11. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

I've owned a number of vintage speakers: Dynaco A25, Ohm H, JBL L26, more, and some new speakers. Certainly have listened to many new speakers. I favor new. I really like definition, soundstage/imaging, instrument separation and find, to my ears, that newer designs do these things better. More advanced materials and computer modeling yields some precise drivers / speakers. Older speakers have their strengths and I cannot fault anyone for liking them. In general I find paying the extra amount for a high quality new speaker is money well spent.

musichal and stish like this.

12. Colin Oddy

Colin Oddy New Member

Hello room, Im a newbi and hope my enquiry is appropriately placed in this room.
    My nostalgia got the better of me and I have recently purchased a Sansui QRX5500 – a model I owned back in the 70’s-80’s.

I’m not an audiophile so have little insight into what speakers I need. I now know the Sansui SP1700 (I still have) probably aren’t the best that I can do these days – and my wife would like less intrusive speakers in the lounge room.

Here is a link to the unit description:
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/qrx-5500.shtml

In the Service Manual under “Specifications” it lists; Audio Power Output:
    Music Power:
    220W (4 Ohm 1,000Hz)
    160W (8 Ohm 1,000Hz)

Continuous Power: (each channel driven)
    45W/ch (4 Ohm 1,000Hz)
    30W/ch (8 Ohm 1,000Hz)

Continuous Power (4 channels driven) (THIS IS WHAT I'D LIKE)
    25W X 4 (8 Ohm 1,000Hz)
    22W X 4 (8 Ohm 20 to 20,000Hz)

Hopefully all that means more to you than it does to me, and if you can recommend appropriate speakers I’d very much appreciate that.

Would Tannoy Mercury F4 or TDL Studio 5 speakers be appropriate for the QRX5500 Sansui Amp? Any others?

kind regards and thanks in advance.

13. Drum

Drum Active Member

You only want to use 8 ohm speakers if you are going to use 4. Probably want something fairly efficient with only 22 watts.

I would probably say the Tannoy just because they are more efficient. Or you could go more vinatagy? :)

14. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can see all sides. Not to brag, but simply by way of setting the stage, I likely have more vintage speakers than any of you participating in this thread, save maybe a couple. That's over a dozen JBLs, an Infinity, Mordaunt Short, Mission, and a few others. At least two pair of JBLs have been in my home for over 35-years. I also have a couple of pairs of speakers that are just a few years old. They are not expensive but they are impressive. I believe you'd be quite surprised to hear the JBL LSR305 powered monitors A—B'd blind with an L110 or L112. And I love my L112s, L150A, L96, L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, 250ti, etc. But the LSR305 for $200 per pair, amps included, is a remarkable achievement. I happen to prefer them to the LSR308, but that may just be me. That's modern technology for you when a 5-inch woofer can make you think it's a 10, or 12-inch playing. Cheers!

nedseg likes this.
  15. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

+1 for the LSR 305's . I liked the 305s so much I bought the 308's for my shop. I've had both playing side by side and I can hear very little difference. The 308's maybe just slightly deeper bass but it is slight. I think the spl can go a bit higher with the 308's which is good for the larger area in shop and I got them for almost the same price as the 305s. I like them both!

16. 3db

3db Active Member

Please show me the proof. Everything I found so far on the internet indicated a designer's intuition rather than modelling tools. I'm open to looking at this as I find speaker design fascinating. Dr. Flloyd Tool really broght speaker design and modelling into the 21 century with his work at the NRC.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018

17. Akustic

Akustic Active Member

Just gotta poke the thread ay ..
    The EAR was the judge then and the EAR is the judge now ..
    Enjoy listening to your modeling tools ...

darkblue94 likes this.
  18. 3db

3db Active Member

Its the result of extensive testing and modelling done on the speakers that I end up listening too, not the tool :crazy:

19. 3db

3db Active Member

Its your subjective assessment, not mine. And like I said before, I liked the JBL110s when I heard them but the little Energy 22s that came on the market a few years later totally blew away the JBLs in every category from bass, mids, highs and imaging. Those things rocked.

20. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Arnie Nudell and John Ulrich of Infinity were aerospace physicists and used computer tech to design speakers from the very beginnings of their company.
    From a Stereophile interview,
    "Nudell:
    Understand that, although I designed the first speakers in a condo in Beaver Creek, I had actually turned it into a laboratory. In fact, the living room was hilarious. I wish I had pictures of it. I had a computer, MLSSA, the dbx spectrum analyzer, and a custom switching system. I had state-of-the-art equipment for design."

KEF boasts about it in many of their publications
    http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf

As to Floyd Toole, his speaker design such as the TOTL 1993 Harman Kardon Model Sixty was a huge disappointment, really not a pleasurable listen.
    Probably at the time, speakers designs like this and a few others I heard were responsible for keeping my interest in "new" speakers at bay.
    Picture 1388.jpg

Harvestor and IPADave like this.