simul justus et peccator
From Norway...

ruskiiso0.jpg

RUSK II
Rusk

Helio

Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit

Wikipedia
"Expensive Shit is the twelfth full-length album by Afro-beat pioneer Fela Kuti. It is considered to be one of his best albums, and was ranked #78 on Pitchfork Media's "Top 100 Albums of the 1970s". The title of the album refers to an incident in which the Nigerian police tried to arrest Fela by planting a joint on him. Fela managed to eat the joint which prompted the police to bring him into custody and try to wait for him to produce the excrement. According to legend he managed to use another inmates feces and was eventually released."

Wikipedia
"Expensive Shit is the twelfth full-length album by Afro-beat pioneer Fela Kuti. It is considered to be one of his best albums, and was ranked #78 on Pitchfork Media's "Top 100 Albums of the 1970s". The title of the album refers to an incident in which the Nigerian police tried to arrest Fela by planting a joint on him. Fela managed to eat the joint which prompted the police to bring him into custody and try to wait for him to produce the excrement. According to legend he managed to use another inmates feces and was eventually released."

Well, I'm happy to see I'm not the only around here who has that recording. :smoke:

Interesting idea for a thread, Peter.

I am a HUGE Fela fan! I have nearly everything he produced that is available on CD. The MCA 2-fer reissue series was great. One of my personal faves is Confusion/Gentleman. The now OOP Shanachie compilation Black Man's Cry is also solid.

Great idea for a thread. I have considered starting this same type of thread myself.

A few other faves:

Moon And The Banana Tree- Madagascar Guitar
Orchestra Baobab Pirate's Choice
Baaba Maal & Monsour Seck Djaam Leeli

Moscow Forever, 1977 [Vinyl comp of Russian folk songs, e.g., Kalinka, Volga Boatman. Melodiya Records, of course]

From San Antonio, Texas via London, England, sorta World Music...

p2150006it5.jpg

BUENO / TUFF ENUFF
Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns

Stiff Records Made in England

p2150007ho6.jpg

10", 78 RPM Stereo single! Score, baby!!!

Where the hell did you find all of these? I've only run across variations of the German/Austrian oompa beer hall stuff. Someone also dropped off a bunch of Scandinavian folk song records at the local SA but they were trashed like a Village People record in 1979...

Where the hell did you find all of these?

In my undisclosed bunker workplace beneath the concrete parts of Texas, I listen to the BBC Radio 3 stream (bandwidth is too good of a thing not to waste at work). There is a particular program called Late Junction. They play all sorts of incredible music on the show, and with nothing more than my trusty Swiss Army debit card and the Internets, I go shopping.

My mailman is suspicious. "What in the hell comes in all those little packages from around the world?"

You may regret starting this thread after you see my World selections.

vergiss.jpg

Mom was born in Germany in 1941. She didn't move to the US until '56, so we've got a few old school Schlager type records laying around.

They play all sorts of incredible music on the show, and with nothing more than my trusty Swiss Army debit card and the Internets, I go shopping.

My mailman is suspicious. "What in the hell comes in all those little packages from around the world?"

Great... You'll end up showing me things I shouldn't hear and next thing I know my wife will be asking me that question. My dad always said to watch out for bad influences.

You may regret starting this thread after you see my World selections.

vergiss.jpg

Mom was born in Germany in 1941. She didn't move to the US until '56, so we've got a few old school Schlager type records laying around.

Them's my peeps, too (well, the Tyrolean clan)!

Back
Top Bottom