Toilet paper stop yields a pair of AR3's!

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Stopped to get some toilet paper. Next to the grocery store is a GW that always has crap or nothing. I peek into the donation area and I see the cabinet backs with paperwork and bolt in and say I'll take them, how much? The lady goes to ask the manager and she comes back and says 50 dollars. I say 40.00, look at the condition, don't even know if they are working, she won't budge.
One grill is missing and the metal screen that holds the little fiberglass dampening piece that sits on one mid is gone. Everything else is original. The remaining grill is original with badges, but was crudely spray painted flat black. The cabs are surprisingly in good shape but will need a refinish. Now to go sit on the toilet and gaze at them!

You rule and great story! I recently picked up a single AR3 with a proper replaced tweeter at a local urban recycler for 10 dollars. Not sure what to do with it, but I'm keeping it. I still have my AR3a's that need restoring.

Congratulations!

Biggles

Nice score Glenn, You are one lucky dude. I had almost given up on G.W. I guess if you are there at the right time there is still a chance to find something nice.

One of my wishes is to find some AR3s in a thrift.Not so far fetched as i have found some pretty good stuff in the past.Nice find.

Damn Glenn you've got some serious karma going on over there! "The SCROES are strong with this one..."

Now where's that resto thread, I need to steal some more of your secrets! Congrats!

Want to double your money? Got a nice XA that needs some matchiness. Seriously though great scroe and whatever you choose to do with them I'm glad they're in good hands.

Nice job and congratulations! I've always wanted to hear some AR3s. You're going to need a bigger man cave soon.

They spray painted the grill cloth??? That's an interesting approach....I'm glad I never thought of it.

Nice score Glenn, You are one lucky dude. I had almost given up on G.W. I guess if you are there at the right time there is still a chance to find something nice.
GW usually has crap, as most of us know. It was a fluke I was even there. I had to meet my son at the train station, had time to run to the store before I picked him up, and took a quick look, and oh shit!
These and the Angelica's are the only GW finds I've had, but I admit, very good ones.

Did a quick sound test, and as expected, only sound from the woofers. Turning the pot back & forth did nothing. Was hoping to find that sweet spot but no.
These have sequential serial numbers which surprised me.
I'll start on these after I've completed the P-L10 pre amp cab. I'll follow the same procedure as with the first pair. I'm sure these will have the block caps, not oil, so the recap will be in order as well as inspecting, cleaning, or replacing the pots. First will be the pots, and checking the mids and tweeters for continuity. Keeping my fingers crossed there. The mids especially will be difficult to source if needed.
This will be fun!

Back
Top Bottom