Toilet paper stop yields a pair of AR3's!

Soooooo, they are done! I'm listening to them as I type this and they are fantastic! All pots working as they should. Amazing how good these sound with the mids sounding close as possible to new after Roy's work on them.
He's an amazing guy and I feel blessed we have someone like him to help keep these gems singing.
Last is the grills. I have all the badges too.

Thanks David!
I have to open one of my first pair as I'm not getting sound from the tweeter. It will be interesting to A/B the two pairs with this set having restored mids. I always felt the first pairs mids sounded very good.
Glenn

I've listened to these a little over an hour now, and man these sound superb! I'm still amazed that 1965 speakers can sound so good, which I said about my 1960 3's.

Grill frames are cut! Now, the agonizing decision to make, what fabric to go with!

We over cut this one a little on the bottom by the 45 degree angle, but not too bad. You wont see it once the fabric in on.

Grill frames are cut! Now, the agonizing decision to make, what fabric to go with!

We over cut this one a little on the bottom by the 45 degree angle, but not too bad. You wont see it once the fabric in on.

Yes, I agree. I looked at the DF 7022 style.
Minimum order is 2 yards X 72 inch width @ 22.35 per yard, 15.00 if ordering less than 5 yards, "handeling fee" (BS in my book) plus shipping.
Glenn

Last edited:
This is a terrific thread, great detail provided for the benefit of all. Very, very nice work indeed and great to see these old girls resurrected and back in use.

Neat! They even have the impossible to find brown/orange fabric for my Rectilinears. Thanks!

(Apologies to Glenn for temporary hijack)
I'm a Rectilinear guy, too - - - is this the fabric you're looking at?
https://qcomponents.ca/Mellotone-CS9009-36.html

Glenn, as much as I always love the 123-stitch off-white AR fabric, the AR-3's deserve the closest thing to the original, Mellotone.

Great thread, great work, great speakers. It's nice to see what Roy's restored drivers look like.

Glenn, as much as I always love the 123-stitch off-white AR fabric, the AR-3's deserve the closest thing to the original, Mellotone.

Great thread, great work, great speakers. It's nice to see what Roy's restored drivers look like.

That's the stuff. Closest thing to the original I've seen so far.

Yes, I agree. I looked at the DF 7022 style.
Minimum order is 2 yards X 72 inch width @ 22.35 per yard, 15.00 if ordering less than 5 yards, "handeling fee" (BS in my book) plus shipping.
Glenn
Yeah--when I bought it I bought 5 yards, then cut it up and sold pieces to other restorers over on CSP. Kind of a PITA--I just sold the last pieces about a week ago.
Thanks Robert for telling us about this resource. I'll have to check out all their offerings. Wish I'd known about them when I restored some Rectilinears.
-Kent

Nice work on the grills. How did you cut them and get the radiused curves like that? I'd guess a router, but you're probably one of those showoffs that can cut a straight line with a beat up old jig saw.

Hey Robert,
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the Mellotone stuff, just wish it was closer to the original darker color.
Drugolf sent me a pic showing original cloth on his with a swatch of the new Saran on the original, quite a difference.
Thanks, Glenn

Yeah--when I bought it I bought 5 yards, then cut it up and sold pieces to other restorers over on CSP. Kind of a PITA--I just sold the last pieces about a week ago.
Thanks Robert for telling us about this resource. I'll have to check out all their offerings. Wish I'd known about them when I restored some Rectilinears.
-Kent
Hey Kent,
We had spoken a couple years ago when I was restoring my first 3's, Roy put me in contact with you. They had 3a grills with the Linen, and ultimately decided to stick with it.
These I think I'll go for the Saran. I can always make another set of frames and put Linen on them and have the option to switch it up once in a while.
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom