Tom Russell – Hearts on the Line

Dave918

Artist – Tom Russell
Title – Hearts on the Line
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label – Hightone Records
Genre - Folk/Singer Songwriter
Media - DVD

Well this is not a review of album or CD. No, it’s a review on a great new music/concert DVD that I picked up the other day. I don’t buy many DVDs, but this one is special. It features Tom Russell, Andrew Hardin, a small concert venue and a train. Yep, I said a train. Seems Tom, Andrew and other special guest artists have held a music workshop/concert on a cross-Canadian train trip for the past few years. This DVD was recorded on the 2004 trip. The workshops and mini-concerts are held right on the train for the lucky few managing a ticket, with the beautiful Canadian countryside passing by the windows. The train also stops in select locations, Vancouver and Toronto I believe, where full concerts are held with local folks and the “train people”, as Tom calls them, in attendance.

Great performances by Tom, Andrew, Hot Club of Cowtown, Kristi Rose and Fats Kaplin. There are also interviews with Tom, Andrew, Dave Alvin and Eliza Gilkyson.

Song list includes:

Angel of Lyon
Blue Wing
The Next Thing Smokin’
Gallo dell Cielo
Isaac Lewis
Navajo Rug
Tonight We Ride
Out in California
The Road it Gives, The Road it Takes Away
All the Fine Young Ladies
Hearts on the Line
Ash Wednesday
Where the Dream Begins
Stealing Electricity
It Goes Away

This one is worth the price of admission for Tom Russell and Andrew Hardin fans, and anyone else that appreciates good music and great story teling.

-dave

Gallo Del Cielo is one of the best story songs ever written. Russell and Ian Tyson duet on Russell's Cowboy Real albums.

Hey David,due you have Russell's Cowboy Mambo and HillBilly Voodoo with the great barrance Whitfield?

Hey David,any sign of the Russell I sent out?

Hey David,C'ya

opt80 said:
Gallo Del Cielo is one of the best story songs ever written. Russell and Ian Tyson duet on Russell's Cowboy Real albums.

Hey David,due you have Russell's Cowboy Mambo and HillBilly Voodoo with the great barrance Whitfield?

Hey David,any sign of the Russell I sent out?

Hey David,C'ya
Hey Alan, no I don't

Hey Alan, check this post, and thanks dude!

Hey Alan, C'ya :D

-dave

Well that didn't take long at all. about 10 days,glad you liked it Dave

Alan

I will have to see about finding me a copy, Thanks for the review Dave.
They sure put on a great show when I saw them. Down Home maybe has it. :)

Carl

I saw Tom and Andrew up in Vermont. Was quite a great show. Andrew Hardin is great on the guitar too and I was talking to him a while after the show - very nice guy!

I have SO got to get this...

I've been a Tom Russell/Andrew Hardin fan from the very first time I saw them live at the Birmingham Unitarian Church here in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom