Tomorrow (9/19) is the App Apocalypse iOS

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Tomorrow with iOS 11 all 32bit App's will cease to function. I was looking over my collection and only a few I will miss. I am really chagrined about the Immersion Station App's. IS 1, and 2 are history, 3, and 4 ??. I have discussed this with Eric Freeman the coder who worked with Steve Roach on these App's he didn't commit to anything. They will live on in my iPod Touch 5 which isn't updated any more. Apple has been warning about this for many months so it's not like the developers weren't told. Of course those of us out in the world are going to lose some very useful App's

I don't think my 2nd generation iPod and iPhone 4s need to worry.
Nope! :D

Here is what is being updated.

iOS 11 is compatible with these devices.
iPhone
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone 6s
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 5s
iPad
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro
    2nd generation
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro
    1st generation
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPad
    5th generation
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad mini 2
iPod
  • iPod touch
    6th generation

FYI, you can find the apps that no longer work by going to Settings, General, About, Applications.

I have a few that haven't been updated. Canopener, Aquarium, Eye-Fi, and a few others I use on occasion. Some of them may have new apps with a different name (Airfoil speakers (no longer supported) is now Airfoil Satellite, as one example.), but I wanted to wait and see if they get updated before I go to the trouble of trying to find new versions.

Now that iTunes has abandoned the apps, how does one transfer an app from an old iPhone to a new iPhone?

Now that iTunes has abandoned the apps, how does one transfer an app from an old iPhone to a new iPhone?
That is a good question. I have always just backed up to iCloud and had it use the bakup when setting up a new phone. If you want to do a fresh restart, you can find all the apps you had by opening the app store, clicking on the icon you have setup in the right corner, then going to "Purchased". There is a section for the apps that aren't on the phone that you can download from the cloud.

YAR!
pirate2_4.gif~c200

Sucks to be on the bleeding edge. Just went through that with W10 when all my printers stopped working ... :wtf:

My iPhone 6S+ seems just fine after the update
the update
the update

My Space weather is the only one I really am going to miss. I have other app that do this but I like the format, everything on one page.

Bye bye :bye:
DD23E2A7-D6CE-4687-91B6-C4A580D151B8.png

The old App's can be stored in iCloud and transferred from there.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but if you log into your account on the new phone, and go to the app store, you can just re-download any apps that are tied to that account, correct?
Assuming the app allows multiple devices.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but if you log into your account on the new phone, and go to the app store, you can just re-download any apps that are tied to that account, correct?
Assuming the app allows multiple devices.
Yes, but with all of the 32 bit app’s you will get a notice there is no update and you have the option to delete it.

Yes, but with all of the 32 bit app’s you will get a notice there is no update and you have the option to delete it.
Does it delete it from your account, and then therefore make it unusable on other(older) devices? I'd hope not.
What about a paid app that is 64 bit on a new device, but still 32 on an older one. Do both keep on working?

This 32 vs 64 bit thing isn't something I've paid attention to, to be honest. I should look into it more. I've got older devices I plan to keep around, mostly for music playback and as a backup phone, when I upgrade to a new phone.
If any given old app doesn't work on a new device, so be it. But I'd like to keep what I've got on the old ones going.

No it does not get rid of it in the cloud so if you have, as I do, something like an iPod Touch 5 which is not updated any more (iOS 9,3) all of the 32 bit App’s will still run just fine on them. But with iOS 11 they will not.

Back
Top Bottom