Tonearm Damping On A Sony PS-X45

PooreBoy

I received a Sony PS-X45 a couple of weeks ago that I'm trying to get up and running. I've got the service manual but it doesn't seem to reference the way the tonearm damping works on this table. Everything else seems to work correctly except for the fact that the tonearm drops like I rock.
It does mention balancing the tonearm using a 70 mg weight, but I'm not sure what the reason is for this or if this has any effect on the damping. (or what I can use for a 70 mg weight)
I'm hoping that some of you Sony owners may have experience with this turntable and be help me out.

That's just it...I don't think that this table has a damping cylinder like the other turntable's I've owned. And the fact that the service manual makes no mention of it makes this even more puzzling. It's not in the best shape, but definitely worth getting it running correctly. It c;leaned up pretty good. The only issue is the hinge springs are wore out and the dustcover is in pretty rough shape.
The feet are in very good shape which is a good thing. ;)

Maybe it didn't have silocone damping for cuing ...not all tables did.
I'm beginning to think that's the case on this one. Hopefully someone who owns one or who has in the past will be able to explain how the damping on this turntable works.
It does get up to speed very quickly I will say that. :)

I had this one and I believe I added damping silicone oil to the cueing piston anyway, no matter if the service manual mentioned it. That worked. 500.000 cst oil, applied from at the underside of the piston if I recall correctly. Then work that piston up and down and repeat.

It is a good turntable actually: good motor, quiet bearing, nice arm.

Back
Top Bottom