Tonearm Rewire?

joemg

I've been considering rewiring the tonearm on my Sansui SR-929 with some cardas 33awg. Maybe also replacing the existing RCA plugs with some new ones (or even xlr jacks if i'm going to rewire the arm). I don't need the balanced output at the moment, but i figure if i'm rewiring it, i might as well future proof it.

The concept doesn't seem "that" hard... but my solder skills are entry-level at best. If the table wasn't older than me, and replacement parts weren't an issue, i would probably just dive in, but i couldn't bare to accidentally damage this thing.

If i was to get a professional to do it, here are my questions:

1) is it even worth it? Does rewiring the arm really make a difference?
2) Where in NYC would you trust someone to do this?
3) What would one expect to pay?

I've been considering rewiring the tonearm on my Sansui SR-929 with some cardas 33awg. Maybe also replacing the existing RCA plugs with some new ones (or even xlr jacks if i'm going to rewire the arm). I don't need the balanced output at the moment, but i figure if i'm rewiring it, i might as well future proof it.

The concept doesn't seem "that" hard... but my solder skills are entry-level at best. If the table wasn't older than me, and replacement parts weren't an issue, i would probably just dive in, but i couldn't bare to accidentally damage this thing.

If i was to get a professional to do it, here are my questions:

1) is it even worth it? Does rewiring the arm really make a difference?
2) Where in NYC would you trust someone to do this?
3) What would one expect to pay?

Just a quick note. I do use cardas when rewiring arms in XA/XB tables. But there isn't an issue with their stiffness due to how the wires exit the arm tube. However, in arms where the wires run down through the vertical pivot area and then through the horizontal pivot area, stiff wires will impede free arm travel. The "wind-up" in those types of wire will cause an increasing torque at that point in the arm as the arm travels inward.

Just a quick note. I do use cardas when rewiring arms in XA/XB tables. But there isn't an issue with their stiffness due to how the wires exit the arm tube. However, in arms where the wires run down through the vertical pivot area and then through the horizontal pivot area, stiff wires will impede free arm travel. The "wind-up" in those types of wire will cause an increasing torque at that point in the arm as the arm travels inward.

Would you recommend a different brand of wire? The 2 I see talked about most on here are cardas and litz.

Visit this site

Check out his Ebay site to buy...I have rewired several tables with these...awesome and EASY...This is his site on the web...the kits have a link from there to his ebay store...I am NOT promoting ebay...its just the only way to get his kits

http://www.trans-fi.com/others.htm

But don't rewire if you don't have to...unless you are having issues, no reason to...

Discovery Tonearm wire is another -- very very supple and wont impede travel.

Disclaimer: I have no professional affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Check out his Ebay site to buy...I have rewired several tables with these...awesome and EASY...This is his site on the web...the kits have a link from there to his ebay store...I am NOT promoting ebay...its just the only way to get his kits

http://www.trans-fi.com/others.htm

But don't rewire if you don't have to...unless you are having issues, no reason to...

Is there a sound quality improvement? I don't have any issues, from what i've read on here it sounded like it would improve the quality.

Agree with Rob that unless your having a problem I'd seriously avoid rewiring the 929 tonearm especially by yourself with no experience and minimal soldering skills, best left to a professional and that doesn't totally eliminate the risk of something bad happening. My guess is Sansui used decent wire since this was their top model and I wouldn't expect to hear any night/day difference/improvement with new tonearm wire. Money could be better invested on a RCM, better cartridge or/and a phono preamp upgrade.

Agree with Rob that unless your having a problem I'd seriously avoid rewiring the 929 tonearm especially by yourself with no experience and minimal soldering skills, best left to a professional and that doesn't totally eliminate the risk of something bad happening. My guess is Sansui used decent wire since this was their top model and I wouldn't expect to hear any night/day difference/improvement with new tonearm wire. Money could be better invested on a RCM, better cartridge or/and a phono preamp upgrade.

sounds logical to me... I think a cartridge will probably be my next big upgrade. Been reading a lot about the at440mla or the ortofon 2m blue. Right now I have a pro14s cartridge with an AT13S stylus.

Still figuring out exactly what my budget for the cartridge is... it's really easy to get carried away, lol.

Back
Top Bottom