Too cold and icy to replace damaged rooftop antenna

JRhoBurton

All roads lead to music
The antenna was ravaged a couple weeks ago by high winds and lost an element or two. I have assembled the replacement, but now it's too cold and icy for supra-domiciliary (housetop) activity. Anyone else having bad weather affect audio endeavors?

I had to put a crankshaft sensor on my daughter's Volvo today in the driveway. It was about 20 degrees but the sun was shining bright and there was no chance of killing myself. Most definitely not going on an icy roof for any reason anytime. Life is short enough already.

Just for some perspective, it looks to be 65 this thursday.

Kentucky weather is somewhat like Mother Nature on a week-long bender, with appropriate hangover.

Not audio - I used to have to get the snow off my 6 ft. C / Ku dish. Re: TV / FM - one time I got a new mast top amplifier and there was an inch of snow on the roof so I took a bunch of big towels up and made a path.

ant_a_zpsxnlvbb3r.jpg

Last edited:
Just for some perspective, it looks to be 65 this thursday.

Kentucky weather is somewhat like Mother Nature on a week-long bender, with appropriate hangover.

We're now getting a big warmup. It's been raining, which could melt the snow quickly and cause flooding. If I have to take refuge on the roof, I could grab the antenna and some tools on my way up!

If it's not one thing it's another.

Not audio - I used to have to get the snow off my 6 ft. C / Ku dish. Re: TV / FM - one time I got a new mast top amplifier and there was an inch of snow on the roof so I took a bunch of big towels up and made a path.
Now that's commitment.

I have a 2 story with very high ceilings and a steep roof. I had to go up there several years back before a hurricane to take the Sat dish down. Going up isn't so bad but getting back on the ladder to get down scared the crap out of me. I decided after that I wasn't going back up there unless it was an emergency and mounted it to the side of the house instead. My TV/radio antenna is a channelmaster I hoisted up in the attic and that seems to work great.

Last edited:
If you put off erecting a multi element Yagi last spring or summer, you won't get full FM performance. Try not to find a reason for delay. Overcome the inertia of this yr's good weather.

Back in my youth, I put up or adjusted more antennas in lousy winter weather than I did the rest of the year. I had a small tower on top of my parents garage that supported them and also served to hold up one end of the various shortwave long wire riggings that I experimented with. I can remember climbing the tower in a snowstorm and dropping a wrench from my frozen hands into the snow pile down below on more than one occasion. What made it all worthwhile though was that I loved to stay up very late on a stormy winter night and listen to distant shortwave signals. There was just something peaceful and magical about doing that. Surfing the internet these days just doesn't quite compare.

Back
Top Bottom