Too many choices for an old man, help!!!

Glenn LaCour

I have recently inherited an Akai GX747dbx new never used professional reel to reel vintage 1982. I need an above average set of speakers and an appropriate stereo receiver/amplifier. The speakers need to be furniture quality as well as excellent sounding. The wife and I have been looking at Advent and Sansui. No black wood or modern speakers are acceptable. We want this whole setup to be vintage. Speakers have to fit in a 33"h x 22"w space for each one. Thank you ahead for all your input.

Hi Glen, welcome here.

There are dozens of suggestions members can make for you, though each will have their own favorites.

However, a few more clues might help the group narrow its suggestions. Some good ones are:
- Have you heard anything you remember liking?
- How much bass do you like?
- Favourite types of music?
- Any placement considerations, such as distance from wall limitations, corner placement, etc.
- What is most important to you? Detail, soundstage, warmth, or ?
- Budget
With a little more info, you'll have a crack team of audio fans helping you track down some good speaker suggestions for you.

I don't want to rain on your parade - but the first thing you need to do is run the Akai -there's probably a headphone jack or even 2 on it somewhere - plug a set of phones in - put a pre-recorded tape on and see what you get. If it has just plain been sitin for decades - very likely some of the rubber parts and lube spots/bearings are going to need work.That's a great find - but you may have to invest in it a bit. Yours will not be that hard to work on -since it's issue will be storage rather than wear ,abuse and ciggi smoke.

Thank you for your input.... the room is huge and my house is 4000 sq. foot. We will be listening to vinyl records, reel to reel tapes that I will record(have over 1500 cds music from 50's and 60's), classical ,opera, country, example....Celine Dion, Bocelli,four tenors and Andre Rieu. All the cds and opera I will put on reel to reel. I have tons of vinyl, cds and dvds. We love all dance music not into hip hop. I have heard some good pioneer speakers and Advent. We have a custom wall entertainment section 10'x10' that has 9 cubbies symmetrical but different sizes. Wamtth, stereo, and quality soundstage I think would be fine. I think about $1500 for the speakers and receiver, I am negotiating on a vintage Garrard turntable now. Location is in Arizona in my house not man cave..

Thank you "stonedeaf" but have already had it gone over by an expert and he and his technician did whatever they did and he hooked it up in his shop and it sounded like a concert hall. And you are right even a Rolls Royce has to be lubed and oiled. Thanks again for the heads up

"Missed it by that much".
I was going to recommend the above average Rectilinear III vintage speaker but alas, it's 35" tall.

Wamtth, stereo, and quality soundstage I think would be fine
Just one man's opinion, but if you're installing the speakers in the custom entertainment cabinet, you'll be limiting the soundstage — speakers need some free space around and behind, regardless which speakers, to create that sense of space.

Back
Top Bottom