Took home a load of JBLs today.

nissanztt

EB4D0CD1-8D20-4528-BF83-E448D65D7212.jpeg A9615C98-30F6-4FA2-9672-1D3D0071EE69.jpeg not sure what I should do here. Don’t need them all and can’t afford to repair them all. I also have a pair of l112s in similar condition. If you were to concentrate on one set what would you pick? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Those are beat up pretty bad!!
S0 - where in the world ARE you?

Those L220s probably sound better than when new. Note that the model 076 “cats eye” tweeters in them are highly regarded and hard to find.

The woofers in the 220s are LE-14s, pretty good woofers. If they work I’d base a nice little 2 way system on the LE-14 and a compression driver horn of choice. If you sell the 076s you should get enough jack for some nice drivers and horns.

Last edited:
IF the 076 tweets are in good shape - consdering how badly the rest of them were treated,
who knows if the kids shoved anything into the tweeters and screwed the pooch on them as well!

IF the 076 tweets are in good shape - consdering how badly the rest of them were treated,
who knows if the kids shoved anything into the tweeters and screwed the pooch on them as well!

I was optimistic when I saw pics of these.. now just kind of sad haha.. I just want a set of jbls to listen to

Tough for me to break stuff apart and part it out, am a mechanic by trade and always feel like anything can be fixed with time and work.. I’m just missing too much stuff here.. I think if I could part these out and get a good start on my l112s I’d be happy. Help a couple other people finish their projects and fund mine. I’ll have to think about it.

upload_2018-11-26_21-34-2.jpeg

I do have drivers for these minus cones.. maybe I’m just collecting junk here lol

Part them all out for sure. They will be able to help complete multiple other speaker projects and you can use the proceeds towards something else.

Interesting, make a quick decision. The longer you have them the greater and more complex your dreams of renovation will become. Pick one pair to keep. Part out the rest. JBL woofers often need larger boxes, so one set of the larger speaker might be better candidates to keep. You can assess the cost of refurb, look at the cost of the missing components of the speakers you favor. And finally, ask your wife/better half what they think. We are enablers here; if you are looking for a crazy ... unobtainable idea ... ask me (I have oh, 20 sets of speakers ... most not working). Want a touch of reality, ask someone else.

The real money there is in the cat's eye tweeters, and the pair of wavy plates assuming there are a pair and they are not dented. Diaphragms can be replaced, but the housing will be worth something. And other than over powering and burning out a diaphragm, if they look good at the phase plugs, there is probably nothing to go wrong with the bodies.

Part them out and get rid of the cabinets quickly or you'll change your mind.

Use the money you make to buy something really nice.

Can't read the labels - but - do the ones with the silver domed tweeters say 4313B on them?
If they do, they could be the ones to fix up, assuming the 066 tweeters play well.
If the kids smashed the domes, you can maybe fix them, but its touchy work.

So, sell off the Cats-eye tweeters on the taller pair, and all the parts there,
and get the woofers for these reconed by a JBL shop (do NOT DIY with generic parts)

Tough for me to break stuff apart and part it out, am a mechanic by trade and always feel like anything can be fixed with time and work.. I’m just missing too much stuff here.. I think if I could part these out and get a good start on my l112s I’d be happy. Help a couple other people finish their projects and fund mine. I’ll have to think about it.

View attachment 1340698

I do have drivers for these minus cones.. maybe I’m just collecting junk here lol

Last edited:
Can't red the labels - but - do the ones with the silver domed tweeters say 4313B on them?
If they do, they could be the ones to fix up, assuming the 066 tweeters play well.

and get the woofers for these reconed by a JBL shop (do NOT DIY with generic parts)
They are 4311b’s

Amazing that kids would wreak such damage .

If you have good wood working skills or know a chippie that has I would consider this as a plan.

IF and only if the LE14,s are sound and also if the cat eye 076 are OK then perhaps look at chopping the 220 cabinets to remove the part with the passive radiator and rebuild the upstand. Where the mid driver sits do some research with the help of folks here .and on LH looking to fitting a mid range horn
There is an example of just this in the LH archives
This will likely need some crossover mods but again plenty of help is is readily available

Part out the rest to fund this fun.

3223 horn should fit also the wave guide from SRX 835 .

Why don't you start by ohm testing all the drivers and post a list of what you have working and not.

Good luck

Interesting haul and not all as bad as its made out. If you need some help, we are here, lots of us, me included have a lot of extra drivers or resources that can help you.

Everything depends on your budget limits, time, and perhaps most importantly, what you want to do, the space you have (what size speakers can/could work out for you in your home, garage, and shop space), and how handy (probably very) you are with speaker, crossover, driver, and perhaps most importantly, cabinet work. Also, give us an idea of what audio/stereo gear you have to drive them with so we can review that too.

Personally, I'd suggest a full photo inventory of each speaker pair with parts / drivers / grilles / grille pegs accounted for / or missing, full front, back, sides, and top (and bottom if your OCD like us) review and photo documentation, then we can get more info on what you have, what is realistic to stay or go, and what can be done - both by you, and by us. IMO, there's some of us who have an excess of "STUFF" that could be of big help to you if you need it, maybe for less than you think, YMMV. If the cabinets aren't damaged severely, there's a great chance they can be refurbished and look great. The grilles will be the hardest parts to replicate if missing, grille cloth is available though.

If ANYTHING is missing, be sure to check back with the previous owner to see if he still has it somewhere, who knows, maybe other JBL or audio stuff lurking as well and needs to be found.

View attachment 1340602 View attachment 1340603 not sure what I should do here. Don’t need them all and can’t afford to repair them all. I also have a pair of l112s in similar condition. If you were to concentrate on one set what would you pick? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

L220/222 (which model?) - Have grilles? Are the cone midranges behind the folded slant lenses still there and intact? Is the PR15 passive driver still there behind the screwed on paper cover in the right hand cabinet and is the cone still intact? Both LE14 woofers look good and hopefully will all active drives will ohm out and test ok, Woofers usually just need a simple refoaming before use. How's the cabinets and grilles? The PR15C's are rebuildable with new passive cones.
A lot will depend on whether this type of speaker, its size and its sound would be appealing to you - big time rock and roll speaker.
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L220 ts.pdf

What do you have parts wise that came with the L150A's? Parts of that speaker (the 128H white cone woofer, 044 silver dome tweeter, to some extent the crossover) also work for the L112 so you just might have the parts needed to get your L112's up and running except for a good midrange. And even then the midrange is pretty similar

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L150A ts.pdf
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L150A-B ts.pdf
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L112 ts.pdf

Those L220s probably sound better than when new. Note that the model 076 “cats eye” tweeters in them are highly regarded and hard to find.

The woofers in the 220s are LE-14s, pretty good woofers. If they work I’d base a nice little 2 way system on the LE-14 and a compression driver horn of choice. If you sell the 076s you should get enough jack for some nice drivers and horns.

A good choice and also a good option for an Econowave type speaker, see AudioKarma threads on Econowaves designs.

I was optimistic when I saw pics of these.. now just kind of sad haha.. I just want a set of jbls to listen to
View attachment 1340698

Very true - have to make decisions about working on the mid sized speakers (L112, 4311B) or the larger L150 / L220's and where any would fit/work within your home requirements. Rebuilding JBL drivers properly from just frames is not inexpensive or for the faint of heart, but there are options depending on what you want.

Interesting, make a quick decision. The longer you have them the greater and more complex your dreams of renovation will become. Pick one pair to keep. Part out the rest. JBL woofers often need larger boxes, so one set of the larger speaker might be better candidates to keep. You can assess the cost of refurb, look at the cost of the missing components of the speakers you favor. And finally, ask your wife/better half what they think. We are enablers here; if you are looking for a crazy ... unobtainable idea ... ask me (I have oh, 20 sets of speakers ... most not working). Want a touch of reality, ask someone else.

The real money there is in the cat's eye tweeters, and the pair of wavy plates assuming there are a pair and they are not dented. Diaphragms can be replaced, but the housing will be worth something. And other than over powering and burning out a diaphragm, if they look good at the phase plugs, there is probably nothing to go wrong with the bodies.

Can't read the labels - but - do the ones with the silver domed tweeters say 4313B on them?

Amazing that kids would wreak such damage .

If you have good wood working skills or know a chippie that has I would consider this as a plan.

IF and only if the LE14,s are sound and also if the cat eye 076 are OK then perhaps look at chopping the 220 cabinets to remove the part with the passive radiator and rebuild the upstand. Where the mid driver sits do some research with the help of folks here .and on LH looking to fitting a mid range horn
There is an example of just this in the LH archives
This will likely need some crossover mods but again plenty of help is is readily available

Part out the rest to fund this fun.

3223 horn should fit also the wave guide from SRX 835 .

Why don't you start by ohm testing all the drivers and post a list of what you have working and not.

Good luck

Last edited:
If it were me, and it seems like I'm the same kinda person, I'd keep em all and wait patiently for the right parts to pop up.

Congrats!

Random question - you aren't on any car forums are you? Your screen name rings a bell.

If it were me, and it seems like I'm the same kinda person, I'd keep em all and wait patiently for the right parts to pop up.

Congrats!

Random question - you aren't on any car forums are you? Your screen name rings a bell.

I think I’m going to part out the l222s.. they are the least interesting to me. Then start by getting my L112s done.. and go from there. I have a small studio in my basement where I produce music and the 4311bs would be perfect sitting next to my polks. The 112s will perfect on stands in my basement living room/arcade. And the 150s we will see.. I am going to ohm out all the drivers and think about my possibilties here one of these nights.

Thanks

My screen name? I am on a forum for every vehicle or hobby I am into. Not very active on any of them though. The name is about my nissan 300zx twin turbo.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I’m sure I will be needing some help in future as well.. I’ll get some more pics up when I do inventory on everything

Back
Top Bottom