Top 5 most watts per ch. tube console

Kent, 1969 was the last year of the Zenith High End 960 series console, not 1966. Well actually they did make them until 1975 but considerably cheapened. I know Scott made theirs until 1971.

While the later 960 post 1967 to 1969 was OK, 1966 for me was the last year of them being peak quality. The VM changer model didn't change. But the Zenith made belt-idler changer was something above the crowd. It got harder to sell a $500 or more console without a TV as time went on. That said, Zenith still made good consoles well into the 1970's. That I won't disagree with. I think the last years of VM changers was the real last of the great Zeniths. Any of the Zenith 960 models are favorites of mine for great sound, and nice furniture.

Kent, I disagree, the 1968 and 1969 versions were the most refined highest quality of the 960 series and they still used the Zenith belt drive changer (1969 was the last year) and the addition of the contour tone control made it more flexible.
Also, the 68 and 69 versions changed to silicon transistors in the tuner and preamp, quieter and more reliable.

I own a 1966 version as well as the 1968 and while they sound about the same, the later version has a more quality feel in the controls and the contour control is more useful than the previous presence control.

I also own a 1971 version, it uses the same amp and speakers but has that gimicky touch control preamp and a dreadful Garrard changer(they went to VM changers in 1972-75. It also uses some particle board in certain areas of the cabinet. But
it still sounds ok but different. They changed the crossover frequencies and changed some circuitry in the preamp to make it much more bass heavy even without the extended bass engaged. It lacks the
transparent openess, accuracy and coherence of the previous models. In short, it sounds more like a console instead of high fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom