1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Top Marantz Integrated? Popular opinion

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by MBuras, Dec 28, 2017.

1. macman007

macman007 Mcintosh..Made In USA

Easy. In fact I'll list my top 3 favorites in order, 1200, 1120, and 1060. The 1120 has 60WPC. The 1120 has lots of features and offers a great deal of performance with flexibility. Very sweet sounding, deep, warm, accurate, wide blooming soundstage and bass thats taut and hits solid.I'm not sure why they aren't more popular, but you don't see many around. The 1200 is my favorite and current daily driver, what else could I say about the 1200 that hasn't been said before?//The 1200 has everything you want in an integrated, in any audio component, but in spades, A very robust model that can drive just about ant speaker and make them sound their best. Mine runs on all the original carsexcept 2, the relay caps on the power board, but a full recap in in it's not-too-distant future, soon as I can get a recommended list together.

MBuras likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TOM1040

TOM1040 Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger on PM-10 demo from a dealer (54% off list). Will report back soon.

3. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Accuphase would be best of the three, but also the most costly and no independent repair technician service friendly. The Marantz and the Yamaha are well built but not battleship construction.

4. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

I had a 1200, loved it until the relay went bad. I looked for a replacement relay for years... then sold the 1200. and just moments after I sold it, I found a source for the relay... I still have a 1150 somewhere with a 2130 tuner... I haven't turned it on it ages... I think I'll go find it. I like the 1150 face plate with the vertical meter.

5. bsandovalb

bsandovalb AK Subscriber Subscriber

Another vote here for this little awesome 1060.... sounds as good as it looks!…gotta love it!

Attached Files:

cortico likes this.
  6. cortico

cortico Active Member

One more for the 1060 :)
    05F0097F-E9A7-416E-B3D5-73DF63C9273E.jpeg F35F4983-EFF7-41E7-A6F5-8470AB10548F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    sx-70 and bsandovalb like this.

7. edwards

edwards New Member

I started collecting mint units that were not working many years back, I ended up with an Accuphase 202 integrated , Marantz 1200B, 3300 & 250. All 4 have been completely refurbished within the last 3 years. (Tom Williams completely refurbished all the Marantz pieces. He is perhaps the best Marantz tech in the states) The Accuphase unit was done by the best Accuhphase tech in the states (Echowars). The work that these men did is nothing short of incredible.

The Accuphase is an amazing integrated. The soundstage is accurate, the unit has balls, and sounds almost as good as an Audio Research/Krell combo. Amazing when you want to critically listen to music. On the other hand both of the Marantz setups have a much stronger upper bass, lower midrange and that makes then tremendously fun to listen to. I have several pairs of different 1970's JBL speakers around my place, and the Marantz units just sing with them. It may not be the cleanest or most accurate sound but they really produce sound and take command of the voice coils.

As far as Marantz sound quality the 3300&250 have slightly better sound than the 1200b, (especially on very dynamic material at super loud volumes) The 1200b does defy nature in that one small box has such incredible balls. Either way you can not go wrong... with either setup.

Best wishes,
    Ed

8. MBuras

MBuras Restoration is an Addiction Subscriber

Thanks for the informative feedback. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for a reasonably priced Accuphase E-202 that needs some electronic TLC. In the mean time I've bought and refurbished a Marantz 1060 (really nice but needs a little more oomph) and just acquired a Marantz 1120 that I intend to rework as well. Someday I'll find that sweet spot. Or maybe it's just about enjoying the journey. :)

9. Jenkster

Jenkster Jim Capaldi Subscriber

I’m picking up a very nice and stock 1060 later today. It may sit on the shelf awhile but it will be re-capped when funds allow. After reading this thread, I have high hopes!

10. Rocko81

Rocko81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Of the Marantz Integrateds I’ve owned over the years (1030, 1060, 1090, PM5003, PM5005, PM8004) my PM15S2 that I have right now is my favorite. It even beats out the 300dc 3650 combo I had. Idk, maybe I’m just getting older and enjoy having a remote.

MBuras likes this.
  11. sx-70

sx-70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

@edwards

Three posts since 2006! Talk about picking your spots! Hope you post more often, sounds like you have some very nice gear.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    MBuras and wlhd1610 like this.

12. MBuras

MBuras Restoration is an Addiction Subscriber

I skipped over rebuilding the 1120 I bought and found a good deal on a 1200 (non B) to rebuild. Just starting initial testing but so far so good. Definitely liking it more than the 1060. Still looking for the elusive good deal on a Accuphase E-202 for comparison purposes.

13. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Folks are mentioning some integrated amps that are not Marantz.

If I were to sell the pieces you are talking about, I would put the McIntosh MA252 into the list. I didn't see anything about solid state or tube specific, so the combo could be enjoyable.

It is well reviewed, you would have a warranty, you could finance with no interest (I always like to borrow other people's money), and you could tell me what you think of it.