Top three vintage power amps, submit your votes

:lurk:wow is that ever a loaded question !!!! better get your flame retardant undies on for this one

For solid state gear my vote would be for McIntosh 2300, Mark Levinson ML-2, and the Krell KSA-100(?).

For tube gear my vote would be for the Marantz 9, Marantz 8B, McIntosh 275, McIntosh MC-30, and I think the Futterman OTL units would rate in here as well, but I've never heard one of them.

These informal polls should require that anything (same unit or same company) currently in the system can NOT be voted on. Since there is a request for three then there is room to put in three amps you think are great vintage and leave out what you personally own. This takes a bit of bias out of these polls. Have fun.

Luxman, Krell, Maark Levinson, oh but I own some luxman, so put McIntosh in there. I sold it recently.

My picks are Sansui BA-5000, Nikko Alpha 2000 and Pioneer Spec-2. I don't currently own either of these amps.

Seeing as I have only heard my STA-85 and have nothing else to compare it to (yet, my Fisher 440-T is going to be repaired sometime soon) I have to vote for the Realistic STA-85.

Soundcraftsmen, Yamaha , Kenwood

I would like to get my hands on a Soundcraftsmen. Very much so. I haven't used but a couple, But I really like my HK Citation 22. Early production models had heating issues that were resolved later in production. Although it doesn't sell cheap, it seams like it can be a bargain if you find a nice one. Even better if you can find it at your local Thrift. :D

I sold my Pioneer because I thought it finished behind Accuphase, Sansui, and Marantz. (All of which I've kept!) So my votes are;
Accuphase P-300
Sansui AU 7700
Marantz 1060b

How about top 5?

They all have their strengths. I love them all! :thmbsp:

Sansui BA-5000
Pioneer Spec-2
Accuphase P300
Marantz 510M
Kenwood 700M

They all have their strengths. I love them all! :thmbsp:

Sansui BA-5000
Pioneer Spec-2
Accuphase P300
Marantz 510M
Kenwood 700M
Add JBL UREI, Crown, and Mc and there are your top eight, IMO. But, there are many other great amps: Pass Labs, Krell, Mark Levinson, etc.

In this order, Crown, Crown and Crown!

Absolutely. Crown and Coke, Crown on the rocks, and double Crown. LOL lots of great amps being named here. I dont think anyone could ever go wrong, or be disappointed, with any of them and I wish Santa would bring me one of each :lmao:. Merry Christmas fellow AKers. :thmbsp:

Mark

Absolutely. Crown and Coke, Crown on the rocks, and double Crown. LOL lots of great amps being named here. I dont think anyone could ever go wrong, or be disappointed, with any of them and I wish Santa would bring me one of each :lmao:. Merry Christmas fellow AKers. :thmbsp:

Mark

Well said. In my case, beggars can't be choosers.:D Merry Christmas also.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom