Top three vintage power amps, submit your votes

For me, the best practical is simple:

McIntosh
Crown
Bryston

All 3 sound great, are well made, are supported very well even when older. And are nice to own even when elderly. All 3 also are conservatively engineered, never have stressed component parts in their design, and live lives of ease under normal use. All 3 also sound great. All are also among the most reliable ever made.

Northrop AN/ALQ135. Its vintage and kicked ass. And.. They had tubes in them . Travelling wave tubes.
full-17362-55566-alq135.jpg

combat proven.

Last edited:
Threshold SA-1's
Marantz Model 9's
Krell KSA-250

(I have to give a honorable mention to the McIntosh 275)

Threshold SA-1's
Marantz Model 9's
Krell KSA-250

(I have to give a honorable mention to the McIntosh 275)

Good list. I will just switch two of them up :) The Marantz Model 9 is tubes is it not?
Krell KSA-250/MDA-500
Threshold SA-1
Jeff Rowland Model 7

:) The Marantz Model 9 is tubes is it not?

You are correct sir. ;)

I read the thread title as "top three vintage power amps" and forgot I was in the "Solid State" forum. :crazy:

I will be watching you should you ever mention the Rowland 7 in the Tube Forum. :):)

You are correct sir. ;)

I read the thread title as "top three vintage power amps" and forgot I was in the "Solid State" forum. :crazy:

I will be watching you should you ever mention the Rowland 7 in the Tube Forum. :):)

Lol, we are all human, so I am sure you will find me out somewhere...

Dunlap Clarke Dreadnought 1000

Reviving a dead thread to test out photo linking from my Google Photos repository. Google isn't making embedding images easy any more.

This amp ( if the pic actually showed up) is still on my GET TO ONE DAY. list. I just have a few others in queue first.

nQlYfemxZWOXTGqtOiq3lsxiP_tRwDLMC0eMHZ-70D_h6CNPTVAtYYoBsjSPMhkQlfKisi8WSMpb7Co8w-waSphIEtTK2xtNRK_rXydBOIoIV-RaUKtIt6QydW0zqonFxqQpVWfOEyU=w2400

Back
Top Bottom