Top vintage 3 head cassette decks

Yamaha Kx-1200

How would you rate a Yamaha KX-1200 3 Heads? I just received that machine Free (Belt was stretch. Replaced that) What a wonderfull machine... There is not much information on the internet on that model. (I got the manual and the remote for it, Remote was still in the plastic bag!!)

Not familiar with that model. Have dealt with several Yamahas and all were competent enough, although a little flimsy in terms of build quality (maybe just the models I worked on). I favor old decks with a lot of physical weight!

My present main deck is a TEAC C-1 - 3 heads, 3 motors, totally mint and awesome fidelity. I am not a big fan of Akai GX heads - I have many very old decks with Fe heads that are in mint condition, all sounding superb without any of the sterility or excessive sibilance that can occur with GX design - although I think it varies with models - I have heard some really nice Akai RTR's and cassette decks with GX heads, so maybe it could be down to the care taken during recording. The key thing is to keep tape heads clean, demagged and use ONLY good quality, clean tapes. Simple routine maintenance is all most decks ask.

Back
Top Bottom