Topping D30 + CCA thumbs up.

Guess I should have added that with a house that is a total of 398 sqft my signal is great everywhere :)

Some useful measurements of CCA performance with Chrome browser casting to CCA, Roon to CCA/Topping D50 and Roon to CCA/Schiit Modi 2 Uber.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

Conclusions:
Chrome browser casting to CCA analogue audio is horrible (probably lossy compression)...
Roon/CCA SPDIF/Topping D50 gives very good technical performance.
Schiit Modi 2 Uber isn't great at removing SPDIF optical input jitter.

That roon looks pretty good.

That roon looks pretty good.

Roon is just a means to get PCM samples to the DAC, knowing that no signal processing is getting in the way; i.e. he can be confident (by demonstration) that his test results are from the DAC alone, and not some combination of media player and DAC. Feeding the PCM stream back into his audio analyser (totally eliminating the DAC & analogue path), he can see how well Roon does at rendering and streaming PCM.

It would be nice if he could test some other media players & PC audio drivers in the same way, to see if they are having an effect on the signal. I might suggest that to him... It might be useful for going some way towards settling the "I'm sure Roon sounds better than <player x>, but I can't understand why it should" observations.

Assuming everyone is using the same rendering engine (to convert from, say FLAC to PCM), then, provided the players aren't also doing eq, poor volume control, etc, but are sending a pure, bit=-true PCM stream to the DAC, <player x> ought to sound the same as Roon. It's likely that everyone is using the same ffmpeg rendering suite, and something as simple as FLAC ought to render without errors whatever rendering engine is used (assuming it is correctly implementing the FLAC reconstruction algorithm).

Not doing Google WiFi or any other tricks and mine has been fine from the get go. Laptop, iPhone, iPad, Samsung phone, Kindle and an Android tablet, never a problem for over a year now.

Sorry for endorsing Google WiFi and for implying that it will only work properly if you use Google WiFi. I should have said better wifi coverage will get better results. When my CCAs weren't working I started looking into my router more and realized mine was about 5 years old or so and the same one that uverse had given me and installed. Additionally I was "renting" it per month which just about sent me over the edge when i realized how much I had paid for that slow thing over the years. But I guess if had only 400 square feet changing to a mesh network like Google WiFi or one of the others wouldn't be necessary.

Sorry for endorsing Google WiFi and for implying that it will only work properly if you use Google WiFi. I should have said better wifi coverage will get better results. When my CCAs weren't working I started looking into my router more and realized mine was about 5 years old or so and the same one that uverse had given me and installed. Additionally I was "renting" it per month which just about sent me over the edge when i realized how much I had paid for that slow thing over the years. But I guess if had only 400 square feet changing to a mesh network like Google WiFi or one of the others wouldn't be necessary.

Your good and I was just making the point that most people’s issues seem to be WiFi or ISP related if it isn’t a rare bad CCA,

I was reading up on the Topping and was wondering what kind of warranty it has. Is is different if you buy from massdrop with shipping from Hong Kong vs parts express?

I got Topping dacs from Parts Express and MassDrop. For me Parts Express was easier. It's not like it's a hugely expensive item and you're going to save tons. Parts Express is a retail company and handles returns simply and efficiently.

What I’m wondering about specifically is what kind of warranty and warranty service Topping has, because I couldn’t find any detail on what the warranty is.

I must be missing it, sorry for a dumb question!

I’ve been searching and so far all I can tell is that Topping seems to be based in Hong Kong China. They ship out of Hong Kong so any defective units would be sent to China for warranty work, do I have that right?

I’ve been searching and so far all I can tell is that Topping seems to be based in Hong Kong China. They ship out of Hong Kong so any defective units would be sent to China for warranty work, do I have that right?

Yes they are in China. That’s why most get them from MassDrop. Amazon, Parts Express etc. That way your dealing with the store. I will see what kind of warranty info is in my SMSL, I am sure it would be similar.

What I’m wondering about specifically is what kind of warranty and warranty service Topping has, because I couldn’t find any detail on what the warranty is.

I must be missing it, sorry for a dumb question!
I had a defective Topping unit. They said keep it and had the retailer refund my purchase price.

I wasn’t able to get any info on a warranty. Some posters suspect they have very little warranty, but either way how much would it cost them to pay shipping both ways to China AND fix it?

It probably has a build cost of 25-30 bucks. Call me crazy but I think I want to avoid supporting a company that would be so far away for warranty service.

They also seem to be hiding their Chinese origins with a name like “topping” while trying to undercut the whole marketplace, something a Chinese company often does.

Just looked through the paperwork for my 2 SMSL pieces, no mention of a warranty. I did purposely get them from MassDrop and Amazon so I could just deal with the seller.

Call me crazy but I think I want to avoid supporting a company that would be so far away for warranty service.

OK, you're crazy. The item has a low failure rate and it's quite cheap. If you buy from an American supplier their providing the front end on your warranty, just like anything else that comes from China, which is pretty much everything. It's around $100. It's not like it was a car or something.

They also seem to be hiding their Chinese origins with a name like “topping” while trying to undercut the whole marketplace, something a Chinese company often does.

Chevy changes the names of cars when they're sold in other markets. When you hold the Topping paperwork in your hand you'll know it's made in China. That's like not listening to Prince because he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

OK, you're crazy. The item has a low failure rate and it's quite cheap. If you buy from an American supplier their providing the front end on your warranty, just like anything else that comes from China, which is pretty much everything. It's around $100. It's not like it was a car or something.

Chevy changes the names of cars when they're sold in other markets. When you hold the Topping paperwork in your hand you'll know it's made in China. That's like not listening to Prince because he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

I have an SMSL DAC, Chip amp and also an Aune T1. All good so far. Topping seems to be at least of the same “quality”.

Unless you have inside information, you have absolutely no idea what their failure rate is, so stop blowing smoke. Perhaps you should describe what connection you have to parts express, Topping or Massdrop if you are privy to such info(I like how you didn’t bother to include specific numbers)

The car and prince analogies are not applicable for obvious reasons. Neither were or are new comers to the American marketplace and have no warranties or are hiding where they are made/from, etc.

Not until you hold the Topping paperwork in your hand do you realize they have no warranty. That’s ridiculous!!

A 100 bucks is not the point, although that’s plenty of money. The point is they hide two very important factors in the purchase decision. If everyone knew that they offer no warranty, their sales would be cut in half at least.

Parts Express should be embarrassed that they carry this shell game of a product and drop it immediatley.

You really think that if you buy direct from China that you are going to get a warranty...?

That's one of the reasons the stuff is cheap.

I've bought stuff from Banggood, at stupidly cheap prices I have absolutely no expectation of a warranty, and, because of the stupidly low price, I don't care. As it happens, when I did have a problem with something I bought (clothing, where the sizing description was nuts), they sent me replacements at no charge.

You get the service you pay for. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom