Topping D30 decreased output

Tia

Did you say birds?
My D30 is 2 months old. Last night I fired up the laptop/D30/Mcintosh and nothing. Confirmed with CD player amp is fine. Got a strange sound and now only about 25% (maybe less) output from the D30. Had to increase gain/volume on amp and pre the hear anything. The D30 seems to be running hot. Never noticed that before. Had been running perfect up till now. Anyone else have this issue? Is there something I can check? Using the USB connection. This is my first DAC.
Thanks,
Bob

Mine is never hot.

Hard to say what's wrong, But I would try different cables and also a different power supply.

Eric

Reactions: Tia
Also read this, might be related:

FINALLY a DAC that I can comment on!

I've always used my MacBook pro just putting out audio from its own DAC to run my music from iTunes. I never previosuly thought about getting a DAC.

Main system is Fostex/Eminence Delta OB's being run by Accuphase C200/P300 and a home-brewed VFET Class-A amp for the top-end.

I got the Topping D30 and connected it up. Instantly the sound was fatter (the Macbook sounded very thin and "artificial") in comparison. The biggest impression I got was that the sound was far more "real" and "organic", it sounded less thin and digital. Closer to vinyl actually.

There is a great naturalness to this DAC, wider soundstage, it is lovely. The only thing is that you will need to replace the crappy wall-wart after a while as mine and my Dad's one (he bought one too) both literally fell apart after a while. Plus a month ago the DAC output sound in both channels was distorted. I replaced the wall-wart and all was well again.

Like I say - you guys have probably heard more DACs than I have, but I think this Topping is brilliant.

Eric

Yep, totally a Newb-ish question here, but where can I buy a replacement wall wart for this? (I've got a D30 arriving from the literal slow boat from China, and want to be prepared in case mine takes a crap)

Topping states it's a DC15V1A adapter, but in Googling Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, etc., I can't seem to find one. Then again, I am absolutely clueless about electronics.

Thanks

Yep, totally a Newb-ish question here, but where can I buy a replacement wall wart for this? (I've got a D30 arriving from the literal slow boat from China, and want to be prepared in case mine takes a crap)

Topping states it's a DC15V1A adapter, but in Googling Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, etc., I can't seem to find one. Then again, I am absolutely clueless about electronics.

Thanks

Any 15v dc power supply with the correct size plug should do.

Eric

Edit: I don't remember how many amps. Should say on the supply. Mine's under a desk in the dark :p

Wondering if another power supply - rated 15VDC / 2A or 3A - would make it perform somehow "better". I've seen folks recommending it for other DACs and their PSUs, with good results also for stability... Anyone tried this, too?

Wondering if another power supply - rated 15VDC / 2A or 3A - would make it perform somehow "better". I've seen folks recommending it for other DACs and their PSUs, with good results also for stability... Anyone tried this, too?

I seem to recall a guy on Head-Fi giving a "better" PS a go with the D30, with no audible difference.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom