Torn between 2 DACs

BadassBob

Digitally rendered
Next month, I get my Christmas bonus from my employer. Lately, Ive been looking at a new DAC for my main setup. The ones in question are the Cambridge DAC Magic and the Music Hall DAC 25.2. Ive been doing lots of research on both, and from what Ive read, I cant go wrong with either one. Please feel free to suggest anything in the $600 or less category. I dont know anybody that owns either of the above models, so auditioning is out of the question. Im not even aware of any retailers in the Detroit area who carry either model, so I'll probably end up ordering it from Audio Advisor. What would you guys recommend? Does anybody have experience with both? Im after detail with a rich mid range, and great highs, but not overly analytical.

Damn, make that two. I've read a lot of good about both DACs.
If you find someone who has one and you can audition, let me know; I'd love to tag along.
I'm thinking of getting a Blue Circle Thingee to test these waters myself

Now that I think of it, I did see the DAC 25.2 at one of the hifi shops on Woodward, just forgot which one :(. I take it you live in Madison Heights Andy? lol

I am in the same boat. I am leaning towards the DacMagic. Can't audition either one. I am hoping to have it by Christmas.

After reading reviews of the Grant Fidelity DAC-09, I decided to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got my GF DAC this past Friday. Its a very solid unit, and sounds exceptionally good. I posted my impressions over in the GF section if anybody wants to give it a read. Swapping out the Chinese 6N3 for a JAN GE 5670W really opened it up good. Ive had it burning in now for 20 hours. I havent listened to it since yesterday afternoon, but this afternoon I'll fire up the amp and speakers and see how it sounds. I have a feeling it wont get to its full potential until it has 50 to 100 hours on it. So far, Im impressed! Not sure how it stacks up against a DAC Magic or Music Hall DAC 25.2, but I love what Im hearing so far. Im running the optical out on my Duet to my SRC2496, resampling to 24/96, then coax out to the Tube DAC-09. Im really liking it, and it can only get better with break-in.

Have you done anything with the USB inputs? That's my primary concern as I'm looking to access my digital files (iTunes) from the computers.

Back
Top Bottom