Toronto Gathering?

benjamin

Since I'm newish on AK, I was just wondering if the idea of a Toronto gathering has ever been tossed around? Or maybe there has been one in the past??

Looks promising! My place is less than ideal as well. My listening room is far from complete in the basement and the upstairs is an open concept with the kitchen, livingroom and dinning all feeding into each other with 9ft ceilings, and not really a huge space
800 sq ft.

How are the acoustics in a fenced back yard?:D

At this rate maybe we could do it at my place. (Does this mean I'd have to tidy up?) I'm not sure how many members we have in southern Ontario but we should be able to put a few warm bodies together for a cold pint and a bit of good music..
Bill

Originally posted by Bill Allan
At this rate maybe we could do it at my place. (Does this mean I'd have to tidy up?)
Bill

I know....I broke the news to my wife that we "may" have a few people over to listen to some music. Fully expecting to be hit with a broom, to my surprise she said, you better get in the basement and finish it. We spent today cleaning it out, and I picked up a load of lumber and Roxul this evening, tomorrow I start at it again!
If nothing else, this idea has motivated me to get my lazy butt in gear, and finish the basement. I wonder how here has taken the longest to finish their basement? I started 2 years ago.:(

How about an AK listening room construction party! Think of the pride you'd experience sitting down for a cold one with your fellow brethren, in a room you built.;)

In all seriousness, my place won't be ready until the latter in the fall, my goal is late October. When is a good time for an event to happen?

We might be on your doorstep yet Bill.

Scott

Last edited:
I'd be up for a get together but my current place can't really accommodate more than a few people at a time - there's only so much room in a 11 x 15 space occupied by Altecs and a bunch of tube gear :) . I'm currently house shopping and a good music room is a high priority so this might change soon and an audio party would be great.

I'm in Newmarket, maybe 30min. north of TO.

...I'd be there for the construction party. If it will help you get you system set up faster...
Maybe doing something in the fall is more appropriate timing if people are away on holidays or whatever. Maybe we will have to have a moving party for Billfort and his new sound room!
Regrdz
Bill

You're probably right, the fall will better time for most people to get out. But if we talk it up now, we'll hopefully generate some interest.

BTW I banged up the final wall to the listening room today, tomorrow I'll insulate and move on to some duct work and putting up resiliant channel. The room will be 11.5ft wide and 14.5ft long, small but I think it will work out nicely.

Scott

Looking good benjamin. I just purchased a new (to me) home this week and I managed to find something with decent potential for a listening space - a room in the basement has finished dimensions of 12'3" x 22'5" with a ceiling at 7'3".

I may pull down the ceiling drywall to insulate with acoustic glass and use tuned, non-parallel ceiling panels to break up reflections and help as bass traps. The room would be better balanced if a little shorter so maybe I can get it down to about 19' with a false wall.

The wasted space would be a shame so I might just have to put some 30Hz bass horns behind that false wall :) .

I'm hoping to have things pretty much sorted by some time in November so a little get together might be in order.

Sounds like its going to be a nice room. My room isn't that big and as you can see by the size of the opening (60") as per my wife's request (demand), there will be french doors. Not acoustically fantastic but with a room 12X14 it will open the space a little.

What I'm looking for, if you see one around is a 30" pre-hung exterior door to be used going into the furnace room (see pic above). Rona had a 32" on sale for $105...just no 30's...darn!

I think I this room could be an insulation show room..not because of the quality of install, but because in total 4 different types were used.

A get together in Toronto...is coming together!

Thinking to the future and with the bad luck that has insued this weekend (stupid car teefin bastards!), the listening room I don't think will be finished.

So, if its agreeable we could do it on the main floor of my house. Not an ideal listening enviornment, but as long as we don't cram too many people in a once its workable.

Lets start to take a look at some workable dates. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking one of the last 2 weekends in October or the first in November.

Scott

I'm thinking of hosting a little get together on the first or second Saturday in November, how does that sound to you guys?

Scott

Second Saturday looks good to me. Just have to wait and see if my car will pass e-test so I can put plates on her!

Always wanted to go to Toronto. Specially since i ain't that far...

Back
Top Bottom