Toshiba DVD player US vs. CDN models...

hpsenicka

Subscriber
This may be old news for some of you, but I am learning that there are differences in the models of DVD players available in the US vs. CDN markets.

For example, there have been a number of threads discussing the Toshiba SD-3950 and SD-3960 progressive scan DVD players. These models are not available in Canada.... instead we have the SD-3850 and SD-3860 (confirmed by a call to Toshiba Canada support center). Apparrently there are definite cosmetic differences, but so far I have no information on any similarities or differences of internal components.

It seems that the SD-3980 may be available in both markets... but the video DAC on this unit is not the same as the predecessor models.

Anyway, I found a bit of a deal on a refurbished SD-3860, so when time permits, I will open the hood and take some nudies... maybe we can compare with owners of other models who are willing to do the same.

Some of the published mods available for the 3950 and 3960 seem straightforward enough that I may even be tempted to get in some soldering practice! ... assuming that the 3860 turns out to be a similar enough beast.

Last edited:
bummer....

This unit needs more refurbing.... DOA straight out of the box!

ARGHHHH! At least I didn't pop the hood yet, and break the warranty seal in the process.

I shouldn't have an issue getting the unit exchanged, but it may set us back a couple of days.... for sure I will be "burning-in" any replacement unit for a while before I jeapordize my warranty but opening the case.

Toshiba SD-3860 external differrences.....

A couple of notes about external differrences between the Toshiba SD-3860 and its SD-3960 cousins....

1) The front panel layout is differrent ... controls are are on the left side on the 3860

2) 3860 has 2 digital audio outputs on rear panel... coax and optical! looks the 3960 is missing the optical audio output.

3) 3860 has a selector switch to switch between S-Video and component video output

4) the 3860 supports 500 lines of resolution while the 3960 supports 540.

As for the 3980...it has a 10-bit 27Mhz Video DAC, rather than the 10-bit 54Mhz Video DAC in the earlier models.

No details about the internals yet...hope to pop the hood soon to get pics....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom