Toshiba SA-725 $Free.99!!!

fuzzyuu

I picked up a Toshiba SA-725 for free tonight. Saw a post for a free one, so I snagged it. It seems that the right channel fuse is blown, I'll pick one up tomorrow. Original owner, and had the manual. Though all the lights work, they seem dimm. I'll know more tomorrow. :banana: :music:

Attachments

• sa725.jpg
    sa725.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 238
  • manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 67
nice! can't believe the price, that's crazy.

Let us know what you discover about the blown fuse.

I've seen folks try to sell those on E-Bay for $9.99 with no takers. So, I guess now they're just giving 'em away. Can't argue about FREE!!

That's the SA-7150's "baby bro", so it comes from a distinguished line. Power output, as I recall, is around 20 wpc, maybe as much as 25 wpc.

Good luck with her! Happy New Year!!

Well I got a fuse and powered the bad boy up. She works great. I put it on my bench with a pair of Polk R15's. I can't say it sounds great, but I can't say that the Polks are anything to write home about. Once I get my JBL's up and running again.

I've got a pair of the Polk R15s and am running them through the Toshiba SA-7150 and they sound amazingly good for such small speakers. Not that I'd write home about them. I am home!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

I bought an SA-725 with EPI's in 1979 or 80....

for $250 new, and I loved that little system. The EPI 100's had a great natural sound for the $$$, and the 25 watts did an admiral job with most of the music I was listening to then. (I'm still stuck in the eighties, I guess.) I remember adding a direct drive JVC turntable and eventually an NAD cassette deck. Fantastic for a small dorm room.

Anywho, any chance fuzzyuu you might want to scan your owners manual and put it up as a .pdf or take pictures of all the pages. I lost mine.
Thanks,
Boat

Sold them back in the 70s. The Toshiba gear was just as good as the Marantz, Pioneer, etc, but they didn't advertise as much so few folks knew anything about the brand outside of the clock radios they might have seen at KMart or JCPenney's.

It was reliable, good sounding and priced lower than the big name brands.

Cheers,

David

Dshoaf, were you a University guy? They were about the only ones who sold Toshiba gear in CA.

It's very solid stuff, but no doubt will be in need of some TLC. Good score!

Congrats! I had one and it sounded like my old Realistic STA-2000 receiver. Very nice...:thmbsp:

Dshoaf, were you a University guy? They were about the only ones who sold Toshiba gear in CA.

It's very solid stuff, but no doubt will be in need of some TLC. Good score!

No, PC. I worked on a small, locally-owned shop in Greenville, NC and went to East Carolina University back then. I was the one-man bench tech, disco system installer, and high-end salesman since I was about the only one that understood all the 'techie' jargon. The rest of the shop were all undergrad student types trying to pay for college.

The owner took on Toshiba when the selling margins for Pioneer/Marantz stuff started going down due to the mail order houses like Dixie HiFi became popular. Toshiba and JVC gear had better selling margins and less mail-order competition at the time.

The shop continued to struggle after I graduated myself and ended up in the computer biz in the late 70s. Glad that ended up being my career as the retail biz has become so big-box and less locally owned for the most part.

Cheers,

David

I remember reviews of that range of Toshiba equipment that mentioned that the damping factor was unusually low on them. That suggests that it will like some speakers more than others, and if it doesn't sound good, a different pair of speakers might solve the problem.

Well fuzzyuu, I know it has been a long time since you got your SA 725 Toshiba but I must ask if you still have it stashed somewhere? I have one too. I am in need of one display lamp. I cannot find any. I thought if I buy a parts unit there might be a good one. As far as the display being dim...they are all that way. It's a poor design. I plan on being in Mpls on January 29th or 30th. These units are built well for the most part. I got mine dirt cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom