Toshiba turntables?

ChopperChas

How do the Toshiba A100 and A200 turntables stack up compared to a Pro-Ject Debut III? I'm really liking the other Toshiba gear I have, and I'd like a turntable that matches. Especially since the A100 and A200 have nice machined aluminum faceplates, just like the rest of my Toshiba gear. The A200 is particularly interesting, because it has a lip that sticks out that matches the look of the Akai GX-77 that's also part of that setup.

Charles.

They look like nice vintage belt drive turntables. If you like the look of them with your other equipment then I think you should get one and try it. They are probably very nice. I'm not a fan of modern turntables. I also think the S shaped arm will perform better than the straight arm on the pro-ject.

i have not tried those tables but i have an Aurex Toshiba sr-630
its quartz lock but still adjustable
it weighs 30lbs and has a stanton 681eee,sounds awesome
i believe its a keeper
index.php

I sold those Toshiba tables way back in the day. They were good tables, under rated in my opinion. I'm not sure exactly how it would stack up to the Project, but I've used Projects (used to be a dealer) and I've used the Toshiba's and I'd say that the Toshiba should do nicely and if it matches your other gear (and if its in good operating condition) go for it.

"Why the dislike for the Pro-Ject?" ... I don't think its dislike & for someone looking at new gear exclusively, it might be a good choice. But we all know that if you're careful, there's a real value proposition in vintage gear. It comes with other costs of course.......

How do the Toshiba A100 and A200 turntables stack up compared to a Pro-Ject Debut III? I'm really liking the other Toshiba gear I have, and I'd like a turntable that matches. Especially since the A100 and A200 have nice machined aluminum faceplates, just like the rest of my Toshiba gear. The A200 is particularly interesting, because it has a lip that sticks out that matches the look of the Akai GX-77 that's also part of that setup.

Charles.

The Toshiba SR-A100 is a belt drive.

The Toshiba SR-A200 is a direct drive.

Are these the ones that you are referring to? :idea:

I sold those Toshiba tables way back in the day. They were good tables, under rated in my opinion. I'm not sure exactly how it would stack up to the Project, but I've used Projects (used to be a dealer) and I've used the Toshiba's and I'd say that the Toshiba should do nicely and if it matches your other gear (and if its in good operating condition) go for it.

This may be a stupid question, but since you sold them, you would probably know. Did Toshiba actually build their own tables, or were they re-badged CEC tables like so many of that era? The pictures kind of (very much) resemble a Hitachi unit that I have in a secondary system, and I know it is a re-badged CEC.

I honestly don't know. Toshiba parts are found in many many many electronics units (of many famous brands) of that era, so I was always under the impression that Toshiba built their own stuff. As for their turntables, I'm not too sure who built them. We sold far more Thorens tables at that time. I only remember that the Toshiba's were decent tables that seemed to sound good and hold up well.

Just thought I'd chime in on this thread as I recently picked up a Toshiba SR-B150 from a friend for free. It was in need of some love, but how could I say no.

I got a $7 belt on Amazon, replenished the cueing damping fluid, made some feet from a few things at the local Ace hardware (they are adjustable for leveling), repaired the hinge with a screw, applied a bit of oil to the bearings/bushings, cleaned it up, put a Shure 2214 with an EVG m75ed on, and dialed it all in. All in all about an hour and $15.

I've been enjoying this table all morning and have to say it's pretty decent. Everything works as it should after all these years and it sounds damn good. I don't know how much of it is the cart, but it's dynamic and has plentiful bass with sweet, non fatiguing highs.

14907199646531940885633.jpg
1490720026697-312963459.jpg

And a shot of the adjustable feet.
1490720160512-3069230.jpg

Back
Top Bottom