Total Noob and wife thinks...

Chuee

I’m going down the rabbit hole. Been trolling this site for awhile and it’s been a huge help. They say it’s good to find your own and I think
I have here.

So here is where I am at today:

ADS 710–pretty good shape and sound awesome for my amateur ears. Found these at Used Kids records in Columbus Oh. Great place if your in the area.

Toshiba 7100–needed a clean and scrub. CL buy with non working right channel. Thank you deoxIT! Only a couple lights out which I’ll get too.

Audio Technica LP3—wife got me this for Christmas. Has been the greatest gift as it’s been the excuse for starting my newest obsession

Sony STR 222–My dads and now mine. Needs some works(transformer melted). I’ll fix and use this for a small upstairs setup. He’s so happy he’s letting go of his vinyl driving the wife even more crazy.

Need: small speakers to replace the dayton audio I bought for the Sony.

Thanks everyone for the insights so far and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of stupid questions in the future.

Attachments

• C4DB3CDB-EAC1-4F92-8B8D-F5FAFD1F7A9C.jpeg
    C4DB3CDB-EAC1-4F92-8B8D-F5FAFD1F7A9C.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 238
  • BD58CD3D-8394-44E0-ADD0-8886C36CA2E5.jpeg
    BD58CD3D-8394-44E0-ADD0-8886C36CA2E5.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 5231D336-EA6C-4CBA-B465-ABB2E929904F.jpeg
    5231D336-EA6C-4CBA-B465-ABB2E929904F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 242
Just keep it simple and try not to chase the dragon's tail. You and your wife will appreciate it. Try roasting coffee instead. Much less expensive.

I’ve had the same system for years, lost the rest of it in a divorce. She couldn’t have it because I bought it before we were married. I lost all my vintage equipment... so go with what you know and don’t hold back cause life is too short. Do allot of things your wife likes to do so she will leave your audio habit alone !!!

That Shiba looks really nice, as for the ADS ...as you know if you've read up....you can't go wrong. As for Wife....sounds like she's an enabler...... continue your addiction!

Nice start! I got the bug a few years ago and have been in rehab for the past year or so. Minimized down to just a few pieces that I had restored (stuff I really love) but it can get WAY out of hand if you let it. Enjoy the ride (with caution :))

If you keep it all looking good in the rooms you have the system in, she will probably remain cool with it. Speakers is where they start getting worked up understandably. With how good the 710's are, you could stop there for a bit while you work on sources, DAC, cables, positioning, cartridge up grades etc. Speaker stands, cabinets and such. Just be sure to buy well enough that you can sell for same or maybe a bit better to feed the hobby.

Look through the Pics of your Listening Space thread, find some photos of good looking audio set-ups and rooms that members have posted and show her how good it can look. More are over in the Listening Spaces section.

Your receiver and speaker selection are solid enough that for many, just a tweak here and there would be enough.

Enjoy the ride, and give serious thought to which direction you wish to go. That way, you don't end up with a ton of shit you can't give away, like me.

Listen to as many various systems as you can, and I agree with E-Stat all the way, optimize what you have first.

Welcome to AK, and best of luck.

Not familiar with the Toshiba sound, but it sure is a looker :thumbsup:

As far as the L710, many would be happy to enjoy those and many would would describe them as "keepers" forever. You will benefit from their abilities if you can get the slightly off the floor and a bit out of the corner, if that's possible in your room there.

Move to the Alaskan wilderness. Much harder to buy equipment up here!

I was up there in Anchorage last year and yes... I looked for equipment bits... Not easy. But there is a nice record store there called Obsession Records. I found a few records, very clean selections. Packed my suitcase full of vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom