TOTL Schiit DAC scheduled to ship this week

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
According to their website, the top of the line Schiit GUNGNIR is to ship this week.

Schiit is a company that designs and builds their products here in the States and is run by Jason Stoddard, formerly of Sumo, and Mike Moffat, formerly of Theta. They have already gotten great reviews for their entry level DAC, the BiFrost. The Gungnir is more than twice the price, and hopefully will be a big step up on an already purportedly excellent sounding product.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=11

I can't help but loving these gentlemen and their products. First time in my life that I ever wanted a POS and could be darned proud of owning one. This is a new ultimate for these gentlemen. Can't wait to hear me some Schitt and better yet, own at least one of their fine pieces of gear.

That's actually their mid-level DAC. Their statement model won't be announced until the end of the year.

Jason's a great guy. I had a Valhalla and picked up an Asgard for my brother. He was always quick to respond to any inquiry.

Their approach to the hobby is refreshing as well.

Bill

I really like those "made in USA" little compagny. You also get those kind of unique custumer services, friendly. Looking foward to hear more about Schiit.

I placed a pre-order a couple of weeks back and am waiting for it to ship. I probably should have waited to hear the initial impressions from others but I'm such an impulse buyer. The Bifrost sounds great to my ears and the Gungnir has the same DAC (x2 and balanced) plus a more robust power supply and analog output stage so my hopes are high.

I placed a pre-order a couple of weeks back and am waiting for it to ship. I probably should have waited to hear the initial impressions from others but I'm such an impulse buyer. The Bifrost sounds great to my ears and the Gungnir has the same DAC (x2 and balanced) plus a more robust power supply and analog output stage so my hopes are high.

Love to hear your comments when you get it hooked up and have initial impressions. I'm looking for a DAC and there is a lot of talk about this line of products.

That's actually their mid-level DAC. Their statement model won't be announced until the end of the year.

Jason's a great guy. I had a Valhalla and picked up an Asgard for my brother. He was always quick to respond to any inquiry.

Their approach to the hobby is refreshing as well.

Bill

Good gravy- I wonder what the "statement" piece will cost? Any ideas?

I think they're shooting for $1000-$1500 for both the statement DAC and Headphone Amp.

Supposedly it will be like nothing else on the market.

Bill

If this TOTL product is anything like the Bifrost, it will be a success. I have the Bifrost and like it very much. Very musical, very neutral without any particular freq standing out. Not harsh at all in the upper band.

Great budget DAC for sure. Listening to Frank Sinatra now, very nice.

My two cents..

I've had the Gungnir running for well over a 100 hours now and am very happy with the purchase.

I do not have experience with other mid-range or high-end DAC's so my opinion doesn't carry much weight. It bests my friend's Bifrost as well as my V-Dac II (w/ PSU).

I've been listening to Apple LossLess files (44.1 all the way up to 192) through a new MacBook Pro with Channel D's Pure Music. I've experimented between USB and optical out of the MacBook. The USB can output up to 192 but I've been using the optical for most of my listening. The USB has a higher noise floor and lacks the smoothness of the optical. I'm not sure if this is the Gungnir's USB implementation or my MacBook which I'm connecting via a 6 ft AQ Cinnamon cable.

The Gungnir produces some of the tightest bass I have ever heard. It hits hard and incredibly fast. It made listening to some of my old albums a whole new experience. all of my music now ran at a more natural pace with greater detail. I keep wanting to describe it as fast and I think that's because the Gungnir has great imaging on top of it's impeccable timing. I am used to listening to music and waiting for certain parts of the song to arrive and with Gungnir the song just happens. The music drives you and not the other way around.

I like this DAC. Is it the giant-killer that everyone is after? I have no clue.

Just note that it did have some high-end brightness out of the box. Some ppl are comparing the break-in similarly to the Bifrost.

Sorry. When I first read the title it sounded like 'Total Sh*t' DAC. What an odd name for a piece of equipment sez I. lol

Back
Top Bottom