unnamed-1.jpg

The system:

Source 1: Yamaha GT-2000 w/YOP-1, AT-ART9, Krell KPE Reference
Source 2: Yamaha CDX-10000
Amplifier: Yamaha MX-10000
Preamp: Townshend Allegri
Speakers 1: Infinity IRS Delta's
Speakers 2: Yamaha NS-1000xw's

I'll be using the IRS Delta's for the next couple days, then swap them out for the NS-1000xw's this weekend.

Mark, this will be an interesting audition. I know you aren't asking for my advice, but that has never stopped me before, so:

Utilise live Classical recordings mostly. What superior simple circuit enables is a clearer unraveling of simply miked recordings. Find the largest orchestra, preferably with a large choir and a organ accompaniment. That's enough to test any component.

Ateal is having trouble because he is using Jazz. Bypass all that and go straight to the crucible.

You're advice is always welcome theophile. I'll do a fair amount of listening to classical music.

Last edited:
My reference preamp for this testing is the Yamaha YPC-1. The YPC-1 is a passive preamp that uses an Alps RK50112A0 potentiometer for volume attenuation. The YPC-1 has very good synergy with the MX-10000 amplifier that is being used for these listening tests.

Most of my listening thus far with the Allegri in the system has been to a selection of Leonard Cohen albums on CD that I'm very familiar with. I'm playing full albums, occasionally replaying tracks that I find particularly revealing. My initial listening impression of the system with the Allegri is that it is very transparent and faithful to the recording.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time listening to the system with the Allegri.

Most of my listening thus far with the Allegri in the system has been to a selection of Leonard Cohen albums on CD that I'm very familiar with. I'm playing full albums, occasionally replaying tracks that I find particularly revealing. My initial listening impression of the system with the Allegri is that it is very transparent and faithful to the recording.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time listening to the system with the Allegri.
My benchmark for assessment of replay equipment is not the sound of real life(I will come back to this for sure) but the fidelity to the recording. To clarify: Real Life sounds(not talking about PA systems) in Real Spaces(indoors or outdoors) via unamplified instruments(including voices) most definitely give us our brain's absolute reference points. That is indisputable. However, what we listen to via hifi systems are recordings. Recordings are not Real Life Sounds even if they are of Real Life Sounds. We can use our brain's memory of Real Life Sounds as absolute references by all means, but we still need to remember that a recording differs and needs to be assessed by realising that equipment needs to faithfully present what is on the recording. Warts and all. Not try to compensate for the failings of the recording.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the circuit complexity inherent with attempts to compensate for a recording's deficiencies only introduce more problems than the ones they attempt to rectify. If we have misgivings about the problems and limitations of current recording practice/technology, the answer is better recording practice/technology. Not misguided attempts to 'photoshop' the recording after the fact.
I feel that components and design philosophies which tend to simplifying the signal path without sacrificing performance, are the ones which are more likely to yield the most faithful exposition of the content of the recording. The Allegri fits my bias toward those components that I feel will give the best results.

Try some recordings that are more demanding than the late great Mr Cohen.

I'm revising my initial plan - it's the wrong approach for me. I intend for this to be a pleasurable experience, and not rush it in order to present results.

My choice of listening material will not change. Much of my listening will be with music that I love, and which I'm intimately familiar with. I play classical music occasionally, and will continue to do so. For the time being the Infinities will remain in the system.

I'll start a new thread to post my listening impressions.

This thread is open for discussion or comments on the Townshend Allegri.

Mark, I only mentioned about the choice of recordings other than the wonderful Mr Cohen because one thing I have found as the system's capability to mine the depth of a recording increased: Recordings that I once used a references for system performance revealed themselves to possess more compromises than I'd previously been aware of. Not all by any means. Most that I used for ultimate assessment rose even further to the occasion. A few revealed themselves to be not quite as able to rise as far. I'd still be hearing much more from them in terms of dynamics,detail and true tonality. It's just that along with all the good stuff that I'd never heard from them before, I would now be hearing where they were limited, where they fell short. Something that I was previously unable to perceive.
The bonus is finding that albums that I liked that I never really thought were great recordings, I thought they were very good, now stood forth as never before as excellent recordings. It is a journey of discovery.

I will be interested to hear your impressions.

I'm a fan of magnetic attenuators, for sure.

Congratulations, and I hope you like it!

So, what do you think of the Townsend Allegri now?

:music:
I'm very happy with it! A couple weeks after getting the Allegri I swapped it out for the Horn Shoppe The Truth which I've been greatly enjoying. Last week I decided to put the Allegri back in the system for a friend to listen to (AKer M Jarve). Mike came over the other day for a listening session and also took some pictures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom