TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Re the Allo TPA3118, a quick search on the auction site is not turning up much for me. Can anyone provide a link to a seller, auction or not? And about that volume pot disrupting a nice case, let's turn it to "full", saw the shaft off and use a passive or tube pre!

Re the Allo TPA3118, a quick search on the auction site is not turning up much for me. Can anyone provide a link to a seller, auction or not? And about that volume pot disrupting a nice case, let's turn it to "full", saw the shaft off and use a passive or tube pre!

Or remove the switch entirely and jump it with some wire. That is what I would do.

As a retail solution for a complete amp board.
The volume position is an enigma.

You mean there are enough DIY people out there to support the marketing of this board?

I was under the impression other boards that we have seen where built for wholesaling to manufactures to build into finished products, yet I have not heard of a finished application of 3116 amplifiers.

Hmmm... when I get a chance, I will see if the people at Allo will answer these questions.

Thanks for the links, guys! Some time back I asked about a higher quality built board using a TPA 3116; I recall that the only options were a blank pcb one could populate, or the TI board which was pretty expensive. Maybe this is finally the answer to that question? Eager to hear what PG has to say.

You mean there are enough DIY people out there to support the marketing of this board?

I was under the impression other boards that we have seen where built for wholesaling to manufactures to build into finished products, yet I have not heard of a finished application of 3116 amplifiers.

Hmmm... when I get a chance, I will see if the people at Allo will answer these questions.
If you look at the section of the company's website that this board is on, you'll see that they're marketing a Raspberry Pi-like tiny computer board and several accessory modules including DAC boards, an amp board, and a "capacitance multiplier" board. I would assume that their intended customers are people who want to put together their own complete small form factor streaming music systems. The board that PG is testing appears to be an off-shoot of this product line; it's basically a combination of the amp board and the capacitance multiplier board, with added volume pot, connectors, etc. to enable it to function as a stand-alone amp.

Introducing the Volt +

( aka TPA3118 )

It came with an adaptor otherwise I wouldn't have had a barrel plug that fit. A green male end fits the on board female. The female adaptor which was included accepts a male yellow and I had one 12V 5A power brick that fit.

Initial reaction is this thing sounds pretty special. Lovely detail and better bass than from my other boards. Clear as a bell with a nice airy presentation. Doesn't seem as powerful as the TPA3116's and maxed it wouldn't go much over 86 dbs with the inefficient Overnight Sensations. But with the 93db Tektons it didn't run out of gas.

I compared it to my Sure TPA3110 and the Volt is better. All my other TPA's benefit from a tube preamp but the Volt doesn't and I tried three different ones.

The volume pot doesn't turn on the amp. Sadly it's located so close to the RCA inputs that cables become a real issue. Why the designer did this makes no sense.

I detected no pop at turn on/turn off. More pictures to follow.

PA020019_1.jpg

Last edited:
PA020024.jpg

I wonder if I can find a way to extend the volume control stem? If they make such an extension it would be much easier to mount this strange configuration in a case.

No through holes on the Volt either.

Last edited:
Here's the Volt+ paired with the 6n3 Sain Smart. As I said earlier I actually prefer the Volt without a tube preamp. To use it as an integrated amp I'll probably have to add an on/off switch.

I forget how good the SCPH 5501 ( with Dog's Breath Mods ) sounds as I only get it out to test these boards. It really deserves better.

PA020050.jpg

Last edited:
Tried the Volt+ with this Aric tube preamp which has an adjustable gain control on the back. If anything the additional circuity took away some of the Volt's detail.

PA020041.jpg

Last edited:
Testing the Volt+ against another TPA3118 based amplifier.

With a back to back comparison against the SMSL SA-36A Pro (TPA3118), the allo volt+ plays with a warmer tonal balance to the music. Where the SMSL SA-36a Pro can sound abit bright and thin at times, the Volt+ sounds more robust and is much better balanced overall.
In my test rig it, the Volt+ wasnt completely silent on turn off. A very slight "tap" (not a pop - this is almost pedantic) could be heard but it was nowhere as alarming as the turn off pop from the SA-36A Pro. The Volt+ was completely silent during turn on.
If power requirements / speaker sensitivity are not issues, for the money the Volt+ is an enjoyable intergrated amplifier.

allo36ap.jpg

Not wanting to leave good enough alone. I tried the Volt+ with a shunt type "passive pre".
With the Volt+ potentiometer at 100% and a passive pre before it, the presentation was even better with more tonal definition to the music.
Overall, the board is well voiced and there is no "need" to swap components. For the modder in me... maybe the removal of the volume pot.

allopre.jpg

Last edited:
With the pot removed and the mid-high of both sides jumpered, an external higher quality pot or passive controller/selector would be an upgrade.

With the pot removed and the mid-high of both sides jumpered, an external higher quality pot or passive controller/selector would be an upgrade.

Regarding the lower power output, is it possible to jumper two of these to run in mono and add a passive preamp that controls both channels. That would give 2x the power and make make this a more suitable solution for those who have less efficient speakers.

I've been thinking about doing something similar with the much cheaper Sanwu TPA3118 boards, but would consider using these Volt+ boards if the sound quality is better.

Last edited:

Maybe someone can explain for dummies like me - if this amplifier board has no RCA inputs, how does one feed it a signal? I looked it over some, but there was nothing that stood out (to me) as any sort of input. I understand that RCA is just one type of input connection, and that there could be other ways to connect it, but where that might be is unclear to me.

^ It has a 16 pin socket on the underside of the board. It's supposed to piggy-back on top of one of the company's DACs. You can see how it works if you look at some of the combo listings on the website.

The Volt without the pot doesn't use the same components as mine ( different caps that are smaller ).

It uses a top plug in for the RCA's which means you can easily mount them on the rear. I'd

rather have that arrangement than board mounted RCA's.

I got an enclosure today but the pot stem will need to be extended to clear the RCA inputs.

That's a PITA but hifix has given me some leads on stem couplers.

CEM Solutions claim the Volt can use a crappy power brick and sound just as good. Mine

sounds excellent with a cheap12v 5a brick so I'm not sure about an upgrade in that area yet.

I'm also not sure a high quality pot is justified as this one is nice and linear. Plus the soldering is

so intricate you'd need lots of magnification to desolder and mod anything on this board.

Last edited:
^ It has a 16 pin socket on the underside of the board. It's supposed to piggy-back on top of one of the company's DACs. You can see how it works if you look at some of the combo listings on the website.

Gonna double down on my stupidness - I see the connecters now, but I don't see any inputs into the DAC board?

Back
Top Bottom